HOB vs. Undergravel base plate filtration 15 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boilerwxman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Newbie here trying to do the aquarium right. I have a roughly 13" x 13 3/4" x 25" 15 gallon column tank I am trying to fishless cycle (No local place with in 40 miles sells ammonia). It came with a Aqueon QuietFlow10 and I upgraded to a QuetFlow20 it is a HOB filter.

As I was looking for the API Testing Kit I went to our LFS (hole in the wall type place) They said that my HOB was basically worthless and I should look into getting a undergravel base plate for my tank. What is everyone's thought on this? Is the current HOB filtration good for my tank or should I consider getting the base plate and using the undergravel filtration instead with power head?

If I decide to keep the HOB filtration should I eventually buy the cut your own filtration material for my filters? Thank you, I have until Friday/Saturday to make my decision.

FYI there are NO FISH in my 15 gallon tank as I try to cycle it... Have been using a little bit of fish food for an ammonia source. Also created a plastic bag with gravel and fish flakes with holes in it to try and get some of that into the tank with out the nasty mess I have read can come with nylon.

I wouldn't mess with under gravel. They are a pain and the only way to truly clean it is by ripping apart your tank. Plus there are ugly tubes and everything. You'd be much better off just getting a bigger filter down the road. The HOB 20 will hold you over but def look into a bigger one.

As far as cutting your own pads, I'm not sure. I've never cut them for my filters. I buy them for my sump. They work well for that so I'd imagine it'd work.

I don't know about the filters but do you have a dollar tree near you? They have pure ammonia (not as undiluted as the ACE brand) but that would work and it's only a buck.

HOB filter would be better in my opinion, and as far as cutting your own filters, what I did was buy a few different sponges/foams cut them to size and used it. You can also use plastic pot scrubbers cost a couple of bucks for 3 at dollar general. Also don't worry about having carbon, you should use carbon to remove medications or tanins from your tank.

Closest Ace is 35-40 miles one way. I haven't gone to the dollar tree yet. Thanks I will look there. The rest of the places all had sudsy ammonia so no go on that. Thanks for the information on the HOB filters and UGF. So I should go bigger than the 20? Also When it is time to replace a filter (I know use it till it falls apart and when replacing put the new one in with the old one to keep the good bio)

I want to do this right. That is why I am working on the Fishless Cycle (wasn't smart with my 5 gallon tank that has young mollies in it) Will eventually use that for my Betta... Thank you again and enjoy the forum. Has saved me a lot of heartache

You should get double the filtration of your tank(depending on what you are stocking i guess) So if you have a 15 gallon get something that will do at least 30 gallons. As I keep seeing it said "you can never have too much filtration".

Double the filtration is a good rule of thumb. I just upgraded my aquaclear50 with an aquaclear70 because I thought my 30 gallon tank needed more. Amazon has some filters for a really good price or you can check local stores. (I usually prefer local stores but the filter was 25 dollars less online for my upgrade)

This is all great advice... Shouldn't be surprised this place wanted to talk me into UGF. That's all they sell. Interesting about double the filtration. What brands or what is a good 30 gallon filtration system. I can take back that 20 gallon filter since it is under petsmarts 14 days. Just clean it out and dry it out they said. What does everyone recommend for filtration filler for these HOB? I have see some ideas. All this is so helpful and I am amazed at how ignorant about fish and aquariums a lot of LFS are...

I have the quietflow 10 and i put a sponge prefilter on the intake and i filled the chamber with biomax and carbon (my tank was stinking even with my weekly pwc).

I love the aquaclear ones. They come with a sponge filter, carbon bag (some say needed, some say not needed), and bio-max. The sponge is cleaned by swishing it around in tank water (after it was taken out of the tank) then you put it back in the filter. You never change the whole filter media at once so no cycle crashes. The only thing I actually replace is the carbon the rest gets used until it falls apart.

The Aquaclears 30 sound great high reviews where I looked. Issue on the back of my tank I only have room for 8 inches where the opening is on the hood. The AquaClear 30 is 8.2 inches. Don't think it would fit. Maybe I can put some carbon and bio-max in the base of the filtration system... Thanks again everyone...

image-1265834777.jpg

This was the only ammonia I found at Dollar Tree and when I shake it it suds up. There was no ingredients listed. Looks like I am SOL on the Ammonia front

That's what I bought. Had no problems with it while cycling my tank. My buddy used some too and had no trouble.

I just called the company and they said it's pure ammonia and nothing else in it. Did it foam up and go away quick like air bubbles or did it stay sudsy on top for a little bit? The person on the phone could have been wrong. I wish it was the same brand my dollar tree carries, so much easier.

It did stay sudsy for a little bit. Just shook my jug. But I used it and my friend used it and caused no problems. So idk..

It did stay sudsy for a little bit. Just shook my jug. But I used it and my friend used it and caused no problems. So idk..

If you used this and it worked for you and your friend and the same brand. How long ago was it? Then I may be interested in trying it. Thank you... There was also a brand from Walgreens that suds like this one BUT it only lists water and ammonia hydroxide

If you used this and it worked for you and your friend and the same brand. How long ago was it? Then I may be interested in trying it. Thank you... There was also a brand from Walgreens that suds like this one BUT it only lists water and ammonia hydroxide

Within the last year. Probably about 6 months ago for him? maybe a little longer.

Thought I would update here. Last week I did find some ammonia. It is a lot more concentrated but I found it at a pharmacy of all places. It is 28% ammonia and no suds. It has worked very well just don't need a lot... Thanks again

I'd recommend not even switiching your filters. Aqueon quietflows are decent filters and a good value. Granted, they aren't as powerful. The feature they have is the self-priming action which some people think is a gimmick, but it is extremely helpful when doing larger water change because you don't have to dump water into it.

Back
Top Bottom