Holly's 29 Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a work in progress, really. I hand only attended to use the slate to make a cave for the front, but my husband started messing around with it and decided it would look cooler to make the background slate. I think he plans on stacking higher in the back.

We also used river pea pebbles/river stone from home depot. I was a little worried about using foreign stuff in my tank....I did my research, though. Other people had done it and were fine. Just boil the crap out of the gravel before use O___O

We also had this one piece of slate, that once we put in the tank there was this incredibly high pitched clicking. We spent HOURS looking for it, before thinking of the slate. It's fine outside of water, but once submerged it's like it's screaming. It was weird. lol

That is weird. I want to try something like
This at some point in the future. Good to know where to get the materials... And about the warning of screaming slate haha!

Houston, we have nitrites :3

Today's readings:
Ammo 3
PH 8.2
NITRITES .50PPM

Looks like progress. I'm also floating my plants since Rivercats said that will help them grow roots. I also pit a rock from my five gallon in :)

ForumRunner_20130102_112524.jpg

Well...i came home to a betta in my tank today. My husband rescued it from walmart.

o_O i wish i didnt have that platy waiting in the five gallon to be moved over or id just put him in there. :/

Well, cycle is complete so I added 6 platys. One mickey mouse, one sunset, two painted and two bumblebees. Also got a new plant :)

ForumRunner_20130111_211316.jpg

ForumRunner_20130111_211543.jpg

ForumRunner_20130111_211603.jpg

ForumRunner_20130111_211619.jpg

ForumRunner_20130111_211634.jpg

Well, all the platys with the exception of one survived the week. Levels are still where they are supposed to be, so I may be adding more fish in this week. My lfs has pretty much everything,,,so I'm a little overwhelmed on stocking. What would be another good schooling fish with the platys? I have river stone substrate so I think corys are out of the question.

I saw some gold gouramis that were really pretty, but haven't been able to find much info on them. I've also been considering getting a pair of rams special ordered once I replace my filter and have the rest of the community in since I heard they can be territorial.

I know I can have a bristlenose pleco....what about an albino bristlenose? The Lfs said they both get about the same size.

Thanks!

Bn pleco will work, but have a big bioload. If you want one just know you might be fully stocked at the platys(they have a large bio load too), pleco, and rams . I'd also wait till your tank has been tuning at least 2 months I the rams, very sensitive. The gold gourami is a color morph of the blue I believe, and gets 6 inches. I'd say if you want a gourami get a dwarf, as this might be too big but might be ok. So for a final stock you could do
5 platys.
2 German blue rams
1 gourami
1 Abn pleco
Probably can still fit a small school of tetras or such
EDIT. I thought this was a 20, not a 29. That being said, there is probably room for a gold gourami, but look into pearls also. Them a school of 8 rumynose, or any 2" or so fish can work

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to post a photo once my phone is charged....

I had one of my bumblebee platys die yesterday. Checked my levels and everything was fine, except my pH. It was at 8.2. Went into Petco today to get a refund, and they suggested a pH neutralizer since apparently 8.2 is toxic?

Also purchased my Albino BN pleco today. I figured he may help with the brown algae bloom. My husband also decided on schoal of neon tetras. Aqadvisor says I'm about 73% stocked....

But the tank is looking really nice :]

Back
Top Bottom