Hooray, I am fishless!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks TankGirl for your input. At the moment, I am not concerned about the nitrate level. The only reason why I had it measured was to figure out, whether I am already colonizing Nitrobacter or whether I am stalling at the first level. But, I guess if the nitrate test is actually measuring nitrite, I cannot draw that conclusion at all.
My nitrite level is going down. Either I will be there in a few days or not. Makes sense what you are saying.
Guess, I better not put the bottle of champagne in the freezer then. Might be there for a while longer than expected.......

Glad to hear your cycle coming along nicely. Seems like my cycle has stalled at nitrites. It's been about 10days and I haven't seen a drop in trites. :(

I tested the other day and wrote down the readings... Ammonia was 0, Nitrites were about 2ppm (difficult to read using the Aquarium Pharm. test kit, its a darker shade of purple) and Trates were about 10-20ppm.

What is your pH? Mine was quite high and I have heard of others on this site that they had a cycle stall due to flactuations in pH.
How long ago did your ammonia reach 0 and is your nitrite level for some time or has it been increasing?

The ammonia has been at 0 for about a week now. The rotting shrimp is still in the tank.

I haven't tested pH as of late so I dont know if it was fluctuating. The nitrite seems to be steady, neither increasing or decreasing over a period of about 8-10 days. Nitrates have been steady for just as long.

TankGirl, I could not find any detailed test descriptions for the either the nitrite or the nitrate test on the aquarium pharmaceuticals site. All it says is that it tests complete NO2- and NO3-, but nothing about conversion of nitrate back to nitrite. Do you happen to have a link. I would love to read more about it.

I have read more detailed explanations about nitrAte testing, but here is a paragraph taken from the Krib:

Note: A nitrate test kit is only of limited value in determining whether the nitrogen cycle has completed. Most nitrate test kits actually convert nitrate to nitrite first, then test for the concentration of nitrite. That is, they actually measure the combined concentration of nitrite and nitrate. In an established tank, nitrite levels are essentially zero, and the kits do properly measure nitrate levels. While a tank is cycling, however, a nitrate kit can't tell you how much of the reading (if any) comes from nitrate rather than nitrite.

This is the page where this water chemistry article is found: http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-tests.html

One of the fishy magazines this month mentions this as well, and I was very glad, because you almost never read about this, and I do think it is good to keep in mind. I can't remember which one it is but I'll go around the house and find it if I can.

So that is obviously not the problem. Why don't you make a seperate post? To be honest, I am a bit puzzled about nitrites not going down, but there might be someone out there you might have an answer for you.
I will try to find something and get back to you if I succeed.
In the meantime, all the best to you TygGer.

I dont think the decomposing shrimp is creating enough ammonia at this point. I guess I'll toss another guy in there in the mean time until I can find clear ammonia. Guess there's nothing I can do but be patient. :(

Back
Top Bottom