Hooray...I have diatoms!!!???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict

I checked my tank this evening and found it covered in rust colored algae. From the information I've read, this is supposed to be a good thing/bad thing. For one, it may mean that after all this time, the tank is cycled?! It also means I've got to get rid of it. Any suggestions/comments. Am I insane?[/b]

A BN Pleco will not help with diatoms...if your postive you have diatoms you need to get a diatom filter...HOT Magnum filters can be used as diatom filters...don't go on my advice only.

Is your water this color? or is it just on your glass and ornaments?

Brown algae (diatoms) is a sign that the tank has been set up for a while, but not necessarily a sign it's cycled. Only a 0ppm ammonia reading will certify that.

While brown algae is not harmful, it does look ugly when it covers everything. Fortunately, it scrapes off the glass easily, and a few minutes under hot running water will get it off fake plants and ornaments.

AFAIK, Oto catfish are the only fish that actually eat the stuff. However, IME, bristlenose cats seem to curb brown algae growth by grazing tank surfaces for other kinds of food. They may also help by eating excess food on the substrate that would otherwise feed the diatoms.

I've read somewhere that a couple pieces of live bamboo sticking out of the tank (not submerged - they're not aquatic plants!) will soak up the excess silicates that diatoms need to flourish. I've never checked this out for myself, tho.

Qtoffer is correct. This wipes away very easily and a number of Otos will do well in controlling this in your tank. Diatoms are usually the first algae to appear in a tank. You might want to try reducing the amount of time the light is left on as well.

HTH

Thanks all. QT - You're right, tank isn't cycled just yet (gotta get rid of a tad more N02). I'm going to stop by E. 38th St. btwn 2/3 Avs tomorrow for the Otos (none of the LFS near me have em). I didn't pick up the fern last week (couldn't get around to it) so I get em with the Oto. I'm thinking two (that was my original number but they weren't Otos I think they were black plecos). Brian - Light is being reduced from 12hpd to 10hpd.
~~gotta change the household night policy - darn~~ Oh what I wouldn't give for a large dose of BioSpira right now!!!

Oh, BTW, my platie seems to like this stuff...has been nibbling at it off and on all day.

I am a few weeks ahead of you in my tank setup. I have two micky mouse platties, and they eat the diatoms. They cleaned it off all of the glass, rocks, and plants...but they don't get all of it.

I recently got two otos to help clean up the tank. We'll see how they do.

FYI...now I've moved on to green water!

Since we share a common bond (the platties and tetras), can you let me know how your danios are doing with them? I wanted danios orginally but wife said "they're too small" and we went with angels instead. My current stock are the survivors of an 'Ich" espisode and an ammonia spike (back to back).

J, if I were you, I would get at least 3 or 4 otos. They like groups and mine always hang out together.

The danios are fine. I started out with them when I was cycling the tank. they never saw very much ammonia or nitrites, but they are supposed to be very robust fish.

FYI...they are very active. They are constantly swimming about, and they do school.

Darn...I moved to fast Mofo...just returned from a new LFS (see post under - "What an exciting trip" in the New Aquistions thread. I got two otos. Guess I'll just have to go back to get more. I also picked up some very nice driftwood for them to relax on. The ones I got are quite small (less than 1") and the LFS guy said they won't get larger than 2-3". Is this a fact?

just my two cents...I have a 29gal and when i had my outbreak of diatoms i got three Ottos and they cleared it in no time...they also have kept very busy every since.

Oto's are great for eating the brown algae. I have 3 in my 38 gallon and between them and the clown pleco, they do a great job of keeping everything clean.

Personally, I love oto's...I would rather have 7 of them than 1 chinese algae eater, even though they probably do the same job. IME, chinese algae eaters will also eat the brown algae, but they grow quickly and get aggressive. I've ended up getting rid of both of the ones I've had. In my opinion, oto's are the way to go. Oto's are very meek fish, and I believe they max out at around 2". Get a few more of them, they are fun to watch. They are eating almost 24/7. :)

Paul

Watch the otos carefully, Jchillin, they can be delicate and it is usually best to add them to a mature tank since they don't handle any part of the cycle very well.

What are your params now?

Back
Top Bottom