Hope for new aquarists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the ideas! I absolutely LOVE the look of cabomba, i was actually reading up on it right after i posted about wanting something red, but I'm worried my simple fert dosing of seachem flourish comprehensive will not be sufficient for it.
I have also thought about dwarf hairgrass because petsmart carries it, but again am worried it will require more ferts to do well (and i have kuhli loaches- would they uproot it before it can establish?)I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot though! If it doesn't work out ill have learned something :)

And yea I have also considered the window frosting- it looks pretty awesome :) I just wish there was some way to make my ugly heater invisible...

Thanks for the ideas! I absolutely LOVE the look of cabomba, i was actually reading up on it right after i posted about wanting something red, but I'm worried my simple fert dosing of seachem flourish comprehensive will not be sufficient for it.
I have also thought about dwarf hairgrass because petsmart carries it, but again am worried it will require more ferts to do well (and i have kuhli loaches- would they uproot it before it can establish?)I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot though! If it doesn't work out ill have learned something :)

And yea I have also considered the window frosting- it looks pretty awesome :) I just wish there was some way to make my ugly heater invisible...

I think the kuhlis might uproot it, but IDK.

For any red plants get API leaf zone.

But cabomba isn't red?!

I found that the addition of CO2 (DIY) made the biggest difference so far in my planted tank. I was running a dual T5 NO fixture for 3 months and the plants were so-so (actually almost all melted and some never came back). I switched to an LED (Finnex FugeRay) and ran than for about 6 weeks and there was a definite improvement. Then I added the CO2 (feeds into one of the HOB filter intakes) and the plants took off. Also use Seachem Flourish and Excel plus root tabs.

Yes, some reds would be nice. You could add Crypt wendtii red (looks more like dull brick red/orange); low light easy to grow. Pretty soon the dwarf sag will take over the open spaces.

Yes I agree CO2 makes a world of difference.
I am glad that the dwarf sag will take over:) I really love it. It reminds me of sea grass. I actually just rearranged my tank with some new DW I bought and stones I collected from Puget Sound beaches while I was there for an environmental bio program. What do you guys think?

image-3073363602.jpg

The stones are quite colorful- do you think adding a red plant now would be too much color?

Yes I agree CO2 makes a world of difference.
I am glad that the dwarf sag will take over:) I really love it. It reminds me of sea grass. I actually just rearranged my tank with some new DW I bought and stones I collected from Puget Sound beaches while I was there for an environmental bio program. What do you guys think?

View attachment 192948

The stones are quite colorful- do you think adding a red plant now would be too much color?

I like it even more actually! I don't think a red would be too much, but maybe only a pinkish one, like rotala rotundifolia.

Thanks! I like it too :) ok, I'm going to my LFS sometime this week, ill see what I can find

Back
Top Bottom