Hospital Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ac30fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I don't even have fish in my 29gal tank (still cycling. yawn....) , and I'm already anticipating what I'll do when I have diseased fish.

It prob wouldn't take long to seed a backup tank, and less costly since it doesn't have to be pretty.

Is this something responsible tank owners invest in up front? I mean, once a tank gets hit with something gross its too late to start setting up an aux tank

So, I don't even have fish in my 29gal tank (still cycling. yawn....) , and I'm already anticipating what I'll do when I have diseased fish.

It prob wouldn't take long to seed a backup tank, and less costly since it doesn't have to be pretty.

Is this something responsible tank owners invest in up front? I mean, once a tank gets hit with something gross its too late to start setting up an aux tank

It's highly recommended. I think a 10g would suffice (depending on what kind of fish you plan on keeping).

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. I'm guessing I would put some schooling fish in there to keep the bio alive right?

And then if I have a sick fish, move them into the 29gal before placing the sick fish in the hospital?

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. I'm guessing I would put some schooling fish in there to keep the bio alive right?

And then if I have a sick fish, move them into the 29gal before placing the sick fish in the hospital?

I would just throw in an extra 10g size cartridge while your cycling your current tank and keep it in there; then it will be ready for whenever you need it and all you will have to do is pull the cartridge out, set up the tank and filter and fill it and your in business.

BUT if you wanted another tank going why not right ;) It's a good excuse after all!

I would just throw in an extra 10g size cartridge while your cycling your current tank and keep it in there; then it will be ready for whenever you need it and all you will have to do is pull the cartridge out, set up the tank and filter and fill it and your in business.

Oh yeah. Duh... Maybe I just want an excuse for EVEN MORE FISHIES!!!!!

Oh yeah. Duh... Maybe I just want an excuse for EVEN MORE FISHIES!!!!!

Its just part is the hobby! Happens to all of us! I'm wanting to move my platies out of my 55g to
free up some room and to have an excuse for another tank lol. My problem is UNTIL I actually know what fish I want to replace them with my frugal side tells me I will have serious regret setting up two pretty good sized tanks lol.

A 10 gal is a good size for a hospital tank. I keep mine in the closet. I have an extra filter running on my main tank so if I need to use the hospital tank I just pull the filter and use it on the hospital tank which instantly cycles it. I have some extra gravel and a heater lying around and I usually just run to the store and get a cheap ugly decoration to put in there to help the fish feel safe while they're in quarantine. Keeping permanent fish in a hospital tank sort of defeats the purpose lol Plus what would you do with the healthy fish in that tank if you needed to use it for quarantine?

A 10 gal is a good size for a hospital tank. I keep mine in the closet. I have an extra filter running on my main tank so if I need to use the hospital tank I just pull the filter and use it on the hospital tank which instantly cycles it. I have some extra gravel and a heater lying around and I usually just run to the store and get a cheap ugly decoration to put in there to help the fish feel safe while they're in quarantine. Keeping permanent fish in a hospital tank sort of defeats the purpose lol Plus what would you do with the healthy fish in that tank if you needed to use it for quarantine?

Is it really instant? I've heard about this on other threads, and wanted to read up on it sometime. I know others say you can also seed a new tank with media from another tank too. Is there a diff in how quickly you can use a tank using this method? I'd imagine you still want to pull out your water test kit right?

Is it really instant? I've heard about this on other threads, and wanted to read up on it sometime. I know others say you can also seed a new tank with media from another tank too. Is there a diff in how quickly you can use a tank using this method? I'd imagine you still want to pull out your water test kit right?

Yes, testing is always a good idea. It really depends on the amount of media and the number of fish being added. But for quarantine it's usually a small number of fish, either being treated for something or being quarantined after purchase, so a dirty filter pad or an extra filter running on the main tank usually does the job. I instantly cycled my betta tank from a filter pad from my main tank, and I used the extra filter to run on a QT when I bought some new Otos and a Ram; never had any spikes at all.

Yes, testing is always a good idea. It really depends on the amount of media and the number of fish being added. But for quarantine it's usually a small number of fish, either being treated for something or being quarantined after purchase, so a dirty filter pad or an extra filter running on the main tank usually does the job. I instantly cycled my betta tank from a filter pad from my main tank, and I used the extra filter to run on a QT when I bought some new Otos and a Ram; never had any spikes at all.

Do you always quarantine new fish? I never did this before but read where this is a good idea

I have questions about a quarantine tank.. I have an old 10 from when I had fish awhile back.. What do you do with tank when you don't have sick fish or new fish? You keep fish less?

Do you always quarantine new fish? I never did this before but read where this is a good idea

You should, yes. I break the rule sometimes though, depending on where I get the fish. Most of my fish have come from Severum Mama here and those go right into my tank, never had problems. The few fish I bought from other places (including PetSmart when I got desperate) went into QT.

I have questions about a quarantine tank.. I have an old 10 from when I had fish awhile back.. What do you do with tank when you don't have sick fish or new fish? You keep fish less?

Everyone does it differently, but I just run an extra filter on my main tank and keep the quarantine tank in my closet. I have an extra heater on hand as well. If I ever use to need the quarantine tank, I pull the extra filter (or just some media) from the main tank to instantly cycle the quarantine tank.

Thanks!! I wondered if I would have to cycle it again!! I will do the media! Do you leave water at normal amount or a little less

Back
Top Bottom