hot glue gun stuff in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would it be safe to use a hot glue gun to put stuff together and use in my tanks?

Example gluing stripes of sand to PVE pipe?

It *probably* is OK, as the glue is fairly inert .... But no guarantees on safety as there are different makes & types, etc.

However, hot glue won't stick under water (won't stick to PVC either) so the point is moot! I would use aquarium silicone instead.

I agree with jsoong. I tried it a few years ago and it simply doesn't work well. Silicone or superglue is the way to go.

I bought a cave decoration from PetSmart (aka Top Fin brand) that has fake plants attached to it, and they appear to have been attached with a hot glue gun. The plants haven't fallen off, and my fish are fine.

lol key word is wont kill lol. i use it to super glue anubias/java fern to wood.

Woot! and it seems a bit cheaper and less smelly than silicone sealant!

About 15 years ago I read something about using super glue to set broken bones, and you won't need a cast. Same article also has something about using coral if someone is missing a section of bone. The blood vessels will grow through the coral and the body will add calcium to it... never heard much about it except for that article.

*lol* now I just have to not get my fingers stuck to my projects!

*lol* My es-wife and her mother are crafters and make Martha Stewart look like a hack. I asked my daughter if she can make stuff without sticking her fingers together. I could hear the "duh dad" in my daughter's voice. So I might bring some stuff out for her to make a castle or whatever for her tank.

The super glue and coral are both pourous and allow blood flow and the stuff that makes bone marrow through.

Back
Top Bottom