How big of a problem will ambient light be

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Armorall20

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am starting a new 40 gallon tank in a commerical space which stays open 24/7. Because of this, the lights in the room will always be on. The lights in the room are cfl and will sit about 10 feet above the top of the aquarium. My question is, will these lights affect the success of the aquarium or are the effects of the ambient lighting negligible with adequate hiding spots. There would obviously be dedicated aquarium lights that would run for about 8 hours per day. If the lights will pose an issue, what solutions to the problem could you suggest?

Hi, I'd have a dark tank cover to block those over-head lights somewhat. I think the tank would still work anyways but this would be more natural for the fish.

Hello Arm...

For aquarium fish to breed, they simply need relatively equal periods of light and dusk or dim light. Consistently lighted conditions will affect their breeding cycle or they may be sterile until normal day and night conditions are restored.

B

Back
Top Bottom