How big of a tank do these fish need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppygourami

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone! I have a friend who wants to keep goldfish but I haven't kept these before so I wanted to ask here. So she wants to keep 1 Black Moor goldfish and 2 Fantails. Her LFS will sell them to her as fry. How big of a tank should she get and what filter? Thanks.

Namirah

Goldfish are some of the dirtiest fish. They need a minimum of 75 gallons to handle their full growth size and their waste which builds up very fast. Not sure on filters but definitely want to over filter the water

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Goldfish are some of the dirtiest fish. They need a minimum of 75 gallons to handle their full growth size and their waste which builds up very fast. Not sure on filters but definitely want to over filter the water

thanks!

Hi. If your friend is keeping goldfish as an easy introduction to keeping fish then a gentle nudge towards more manageable tropical fish would be a good idea.
Smaller tanks, smaller fish, a huge choice. Don't be put off by the word tropical, it simply means adding a thermostat/heater, no big deal.

Hi. If your friend is keeping goldfish as an easy introduction to keeping fish then a gentle nudge towards more manageable tropical fish would be a good idea.
Smaller tanks, smaller fish, a huge choice. Don't be put off by the word tropical, it simply means adding a thermostat/heater, no big deal.

Thanks for the advice :) The friend has tried tropical but wants another tank, with goldies this time. She has been successful with tropical but wants to try something new.

A 75 would be comfortable for those three, but she'd want at least 10x the filtration. Also, they do much better on a varied diet. Plants will also help with water quality, she'll need to research what plants goldfish tend not to bother with as they do like to nibble and uproot.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom