How can i cycle an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy_lover

Aquarium Advice Regular
How can I cycle an aquarium without the long and confusing method ?

Alright, sorry could resist. You cycle a tank by serval different methods.
1. Buy bottled bacteria
This method is now typically done in freshwater. Go to your live fish store and looked for bottle ammonia and follow the directions on the back, I have never used this method before.
2. Fish in cycle, this one requires major water changes to keep the fish alive and then they still won't make it
3. The fish food cycle, you basically add fish everyday to give something to break down in the tank, this is very messy but has worked the best for me.

Do you have filter media from a tank that has already been cycled and has an established colony of BB? If not, can you obtain filter media from somebody else's tank that has already been cycled and has an established colony of BB?

Do you have filter media from a tank that has already been cycled and has an established colony of BB? If not, can you obtain filter media from somebody else's tank that has already been cycled and has an established colony of BB?

Nope I cant :(

Alright, sorry could resist. You cycle a tank by serval different methods.
1. Buy bottled bacteria
This method is now typically done in freshwater. Go to your live fish store and looked for bottle ammonia and follow the directions on the back, I have never used this method before.
2. Fish in cycle, this one requires major water changes to keep the fish alive and then they still won't make it
3. The fish food cycle, you basically add fish everyday to give something to break down in the tank, this is very messy but has worked the best for me.

Thank you , how long does method 1 and 3 take ?

Cycling a Tank

Hello Fishy...

You can instantly cycle a tank. You'll need to have an established, cycled tank that's the same size or larger, with a similar setup. If you have one, remove about half of the media from the cycled tank and put it into the filter of the new tank. The new tank will have a good, working colony of bacteria to use the nitrogen produced by the fish.

Service the old tank and replace the media and within a few hours, the bacteria will replace what was removed. It reproduces very quickly.

B

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Here's a helpful link for you that talks about fish-in and fishless cycling. Most of the time cycling will typically take 4-8 weeks.

+1 This is the "real answer" you were looking for. Unfortunately, Im afraid it may be the long and complex one you were trying to avoid.

If there was a quick, easy and reliable way to do it (without established BB) then thats the way everybody would do it. Nobody's keeping it a secret as there is no secret to keep.

Hello Fishy...

You can instantly cycle a tank. You'll need to have an established, cycled tank that's the same size or larger, with a similar setup. If you have one, remove about half of the media from the cycled tank and put it into the filter of the new tank. The new tank will have a good, working colony of bacteria to use the nitrogen produced by the fish.

Service the old tank and replace the media and within a few hours, the bacteria will replace what was removed. It reproduces very quickly.

B

OP's already stated that they don't have access to filter media with established BB. :ermm:

Tank Availability

Fishy...

There's always used tank media for the asking at the local pet stores in the area. I didn't mean specifically a tank next door. How badly do you want to cycle the new tank? A trip across town is easy and your reward is an instantly cycled tank that you don't need to wait 6 to 8 weeks to have.

You will need to jump through a small hoop, but the reward is worth it.

B

Fishy...

There's always used tank media for the asking at the local pet stores in the area. I didn't mean specifically a tank next door. How badly do you want to cycle the new tank? A trip across town is easy and your reward is an instantly cycled tank that you don't need to wait 6 to 8 weeks to have.

You will need to jump through a small hoop, but the reward is worth it.

B

Okay thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom