How can I perform a successful water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarcosDiaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How do I get water at same temperature and how do I do it? Do I add dechlorinator every time I change 10% and do I also add salt? How do I do this properly because I fear I may be doing more harm than good. Especially since my cycle is still in progress. I have a 10 gallon tank right now waiting to get my 30 gallon. I have 7 mollies a snail and two whisker shrimp. 1 live plant and a few plastic ones. I also have two filters.

I hope the cycleing is going well. As far as your water changes go I was always told to try to use room temp water or gusse the temp of the water. You should always ad decholrinator if you are using tap water. The salt is more of a beneficial stress reliver not really mandatory. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the fast reply ! Seems like I'm doing everything right then. Thank you!

I normally leave water for 24 hrs then add it. Salt is for marines. I have never used tonic salt, Regular changes will keep your tank in tip top shape, a quick dip of the finger will tell you how close the temp is. If it is a big difference, slow the transfer rate. The clip on the syphon filter is a good thing to use, if it has one, or just squeeze the hose a bit to slow flow down. Test both tank and replacement with the finger method as body temp will adjust your perception of tank temp. Another tip, watch the light on tank heater, if it comes on during transfer, stop, wait for it to go out and then carry on.

Another tip, watch the light on tank heater, if it comes on during transfer, stop, wait for it to go out and then carry on.

Ah. This might be a problem. You should always switch off your heater during a water change, otherwise you run the risk of it cracking or exploding :-(

There was a guy on this forum not long ago that this happened to. Shards of heater all over the tank, and he was using a decent heater too.

Ah. This might be a problem. You should always switch off your heater during a water change, otherwise you run the risk of it cracking or exploding :-(

There was a guy on this forum not long ago that this happened to. Shards of heater all over the tank, and he was using a decent heater too.

I have one with a auto shut-off... but I always unplug it anyway. In fact i turn off my filters too.

I have one with a auto shut-off... but I always unplug it anyway. In fact i turn off my filters too.

+1 on this. Maybe get a second power strip (with an on/off toggle switch) and connect only the filters and heater to it. Makes shutting off those devices easier during WCs.

This is just me but I don't worry to much about the temp being exact. If it's off a couple of degrees it's not going to harm the fish. I will use a cool water change to trigger breeding at times. Dechlorinator is a must however. I prefer to use Seachem Prime. Aquarium salt as mention previously is good for the over all health of the fish but I rarely use it.

This is just me but I don't worry to much about the temp being exact. If it's off a couple of degrees it's not going to harm the fish. I will use a cool water change to trigger breeding at times. Dechlorinator is a must however. I prefer to use Seachem Prime. Aquarium salt as mention previously is good for the over all health of the fish but I rarely use it.

I almost always add colder water, like a cool rain.

Ah. This might be a problem. You should always switch off your heater during a water change, otherwise you run the risk of it cracking or exploding :-( There was a guy on this forum not long ago that this happened to. Shards of heater all over the tank, and he was using a decent heater too.
This guy was me. Shards of glass went everywhere and it was flash boiling the water. Lesson learned. Definitely urn off your heater.

This guy was me. Shards of glass went everywhere and it was flash boiling the water. Lesson learned. Definitely urn off your heater.

There you go! Fame at last :) I forgot your username, but your post made a big impression. I always switch off my heater but now I double-check! :)

I put a label on my heater and filter plugs so I know what's what. They look exactly the same so it's easy to get them mixed up.

There you go! Fame at last :) I forgot your username, but your post made a big impression. I always switch off my heater but now I double-check! :) I put a label on my heater and filter plugs so I know what's what. They look exactly the same so it's easy to get them mixed up.
There's no such thing as bad publicity, eh. But at least it was a learning experience and maybe it saved someone else from a situation like mine. I guess there's a silver lining to every cloud!

How about a digital thermometer to check the temp of your new tap water?

I have to admit, I started doing this at first but after a while I just felt the water with my hand. You get used to how warm it should feel.

I use a digital thermometer and try to get the temp as close as I can. I can't trust myself to get the temps right by just feeling the water, lol.

I use a digital thermometer and try to get the temp as close as I can. I can't trust myself to get the temps right by just feeling the water, lol.

I was going to try this next winter as well even though the pipes are buried. I thought I was close but was never sure. I think one week was really miserable/unusual with the outside hose frozen (no python or water changer, curses, so it is just buckets) but the water seemed warm - now I wonder if anything would have.

The way i do it is fill a bucket with water, throw in a thermometer and try to match my tank temp, i then add de chlorinator and add the water to the tank.

Wow thanks for the replies everyone! I will definitely turn my heater off now; can't risk killing any of my fish. So about using cooler water .. What about this can trigger breeding in tropical fish ? I am certainly going to give "cool rain" a try.

Can't help you with the breeding, but when I'm adding water the fish all seam to hang out near the inlet tube. Were not talking about really cold water, just a few degrees below your tank temperature.

My heater(s) is/are low in the tank, hot air rises, hot water rises up until the point of freezing then the ice rises. If I dip my hands in heater normally is off. My circuits are protected with an MCB and an RCD to protect me from electrocution. If your heater, particularly the thermostatic part of it is right at the top the bottom layer will be cooler, on a big tank this is a good few degrees C' when I syphon water back into the tank all systems are on. This stops a cold layer of water dropping to the bottom, if the water is 5-10 degrees colder this will shock the lower inhabitants, some fish will not mind, corydoras for example, some fish will mind! Ive done it the same way for 8 years. Maybe I'm really lucky?

Back
Top Bottom