How can I raise my pH level?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi!

I set up my 20 gallon tank and then went on vacation. While I was away it had been cycling for 10 days. Today I got back and tested the water. I was using strips and I realize that they aren't as accurate but that's all I have for now. (I'll try to get something else soon)

Anyway, my pH tested 6.5-7.0
I'm putting Male Guppies, Neon Tetras, and Julii Cories in the tank.

1. I know that a steady pH is the best pH, but if I'm not mistaken these fish prefer a pH around 7.5?

2. If I don't raise my pH, will my current levels be okay?

3. How can I make sure to keep the pH steady?

Incase it matters, here are my other readings:

Nitrite- around 0
Nitrate- around 0

Total Hardness- 75-150
Total Alkalinity- Ideal (around 180)

Again, these results are vague, but as I said earlier, I'll try to get a more accurate testing kit asap.
It does not test for Ammonia.

Thanks for the help!!

Oh yeah I almost forgot to mention: Just to be clear, there are no fish in the tank yet. I'm doing a fishless cycle.

(Sorry if you've seen this question twice, I had to repost it here as I put it in the Saltwater section by mistake.)

Ok, so I'll give it more time, but how do I raise it, is what I have okay, and how do I keep it stable...???

There's a few natural ways to raise pH and maintain it. A common characteristic of young tanks is a low, unsteady pH. Basically as CO2 accumulates in water, the pH is lowered. You can raise pH by decreasing the amount of CO2 in your water by doing many things. A couple of these is by simply opening a window and allowing O2 to enter your house. You can help the exchange of gas in your tank by using a HOB filter, an aerator, or a powerhead that will aerate the surface of the water.

You can try plants, too. As plants conduct photosynthesis, CO2 is taken in as a reactant and O2 is released as a product, thus reducing the amount of carbon dioxide in the water. Eventually, your paramaters will reach a dynamic equilibrium.

Don't worry about raising it. It may go up after your cycle is over. Even if it doesn't, the fish you are wanting would love a lower pH. It is fine where it is. :)

Messing with the pH usually causes more trouble than its worth. ;)

I wouldn't mess with the pH either. Steady pH is more important than "correct" pH. Unless you're trying to breed the more difficult species, fish will adapt to most any pH between 6-8, maybe higher, without an issue. My guppies are in 7.0 water and they're breeding like crazy. My panda cories are in the same tank and I have ten or so little pandas now. Neons are amazonian, so they'd prefer the pH right where it is anyways.

Now I see you're doing a fishless cycle. The ammonia may be causing the swings you're seeing. When I did my fishless cycle, I mistakenly added about 8ppm of ammonia. I did a pH test just for kicks and the pH measured a full point higher than normal due to the basic nature of the ammonia.

I would kill to have your pH. Don't worry about it. Low pH keeps the door open for more fish than a high pH like mine.

Back
Top Bottom