How can I tell if it's safe to put new fish in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I wouldn't worry about it too much if all the fish are acting fine. Just add stock slowly and keep an eye on it. Honestly, the situation baffles me a bit too, but if the fish are all fine, I wouldn't be concerned.

Hello again

I've been working a lot the last few days so I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I'll keep going just in case.

I finally got a response from the water company. They sent me test results for the last six months. There are over 50 parameters, some chemical and some microbiological. The sheet gives minimum, maximum and mean levels of each, plus the number of samples that were taken.

The results for chlorine were as follows

free chlorine max = 0.56 mg/l ave = 0.39 mg/l(from 68 samples)
total chlorine max = 0.64 mg/l ave = 0.45 mg/l (from 68 samples)

I think the dechlorinator I use should be able to cope with this. Not sure what other things in the water could be giving me the problems, but I have lots of information here if anyone has any suggestions.

I just wanted to add, you should be able to go to your water company's website and access the most recent report at any time. You shouldn't have to contact them directly.

I'd like to add that you can't trust the water company. I'm not sure of anyone remembers my dealings with my local water company and as a fire chief I NEVER thought I would be handed the card called "run around" sure they have me test results and what not but I'm not so sure there accurate and when I asked them to test my tap water they wouldn't hmmmm? Interesting because that's there job.

In the meantime as a fire chief I get notifications about hydrants being out of service and about bacteria testing. Bacteria testing? Really why? And no one had an answer I was just bounced around. I made several calls to no avail...

It was a waste of my time. I actually pulled a few strings and a local pool company test what they could which was a lot more then I thought. Then I had a friend bring a sample to the county's lab.

Water company? Yeah right... Trust them? Not me... I'd be very wary of some results they were so willing to hand over. Is it public knowledge? Of course but whose to say what accuracy it has to be. Those could be altered results from the past. I don't trust them one bit after my experience. Hopefully yours was different.

Back
Top Bottom