How do I cycle a 3 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is my main concern as of now? Ammonia? Or pH? My ammonia levels are right around .50 to 1 ppm. A big change since yesterday. I'm thinking of doing 1 more water change now and then waiting an hour and doing a full spectrum test on all parameters. I will post the results later.

Well, both really, the higher the PH, the More toxic the ammonia, however, you don't want to make drastic changes to the PH all at once so, it's a double edge sword, If it were me, after your wc, I'd use some Prime, that will at least make the Ammonia and Nitrates, less Toxic, they will still be there and won't mess with your cycle, once you have that, focus on what is driving your PH up so high and work to bring in down slowly. If the water out of the tap is High, then try to correct it a little, at a time while doing water changes, until you can find a more long term solution. In 3 Gallons, peat moss, might make a considerable different, You can add some to the filter, and also maybe get a plant thats growing on peat, to assist until you figure out a solution.

Well, both really, the higher the PH, the More toxic the ammonia, however, you don't want to make drastic changes to the PH all at once so, it's a double edge sword, If it were me, after your wc, I'd use some Prime, that will at least make the Ammonia and Nitrates, less Toxic, they will still be there and won't mess with your cycle, once you have that, focus on what is driving your PH up so high and work to bring in down slowly. If the water out of the tap is High, then try to correct it a little, at a time while doing water changes, until you can find a more long term solution. In 3 Gallons, peat moss, might make a considerable different, You can add some to the filter, and also maybe get a plant thats growing on peat, to assist until you figure out a solution.

Thanks for the suggestions. Could you give me more details on the peat moss or other methods of lowering pH.

I tested my tank water and the results are:

pH: 8.0-8.2
Ammonia-.50-1.0 ppm
Nitrite-0 ppm
Nitrate-0 ppm

Ammonia is much much better. But my pH is still the same.

Any suggestions on ways to lower my pH would be great!

Thanks for the suggestions. Could you give me more details on the peat moss or other methods of lowering pH.

I tested my tank water and the results are:

pH: 8.0-8.2
Ammonia-.50-1.0 ppm
Nitrite-0 ppm
Nitrate-0 ppm

Ammonia is much much better. But my pH is still the same.

Any suggestions on ways to lower my pH would be great!

Honestly, the 8.0 to 8.2 is not Crazy high, I thought it was much higher. and if it's constant, other then some peat in a filter bag hanging inside your filter, or even some driftwood, in the aquarium can help a bit. The main thing is getting the ammonia down, which you seem to be doing with the WC. Prime, is a really good product. You can read what it does here.

Aquarium Water Quality & Conditioners: Seachem Prime Water Conditioner

I just about buy it by the gallon now ;) But Basically it converts the Bad stuff into not so bad stuff ;) You won't need to deal with any other water conditioners. It also won't mess up your cycle, But it can fool your test results, so don't panic. :) there are ways of testing to see what the actual harmful Ammonia is vs the converted, oh and it is a little stinky before putting it in.

For the Peat, you can put it in a Filter Bag, this is just an Example Here, there are cheaper alternatives but this will give you the basic Idea.

Amazon.com: Fluval Peat Granules, 500 Gram/17.6 Ounce: Pet Supplies

Honestly, the 8.0 to 8.2 is not Crazy high, I thought it was much higher. and if it's constant, other then some peat in a filter bag hanging inside your filter, or even some driftwood, in the aquarium can help a bit. The main thing is getting the ammonia down, which you seem to be doing with the WC. Prime, is a really good product. You can read what it does here.

Aquarium Water Quality & Conditioners: Seachem Prime Water Conditioner

I just about buy it by the gallon now ;) But Basically it converts the Bad stuff into not so bad stuff ;) You won't need to deal with any other water conditioners. It also won't mess up your cycle, But it can fool your test results, so don't panic. :) there are ways of testing to see what the actual harmful Ammonia is vs the converted, oh and it is a little stinky before putting it in.

For the Peat, you can put it in a Filter Bag, this is just an Example Here, there are cheaper alternatives but this will give you the basic Idea.

Amazon.com: Fluval Peat Granules, 500 Gram/17.6 Ounce: Pet Supplies

I've looked at Prime before and it looks like a very beneficial product. Do they sell it in fish stores or other pet stores? Or do I need to buy it online?

Your numbers are MUCH better tonight. Go ahead and do another water change to bring that ammonia down to about .25, 75% should do it.
Prime is a great product, and it won't hurt your cycle.

Looks like I'll keep a look out for some Prime then. :)

Does anyone have any experience with a TOM Mini Internal Filter w/Adjustable Flow?

Here's a link if it helps: Amazon.com: TOM Aquarium Mini Internal Filter 45gph adjustable flow: Pet Supplies

My little Tetra Whisper 1-3 gallon filter is a piece of crap. I don't think it actually works. It just bubbles out water instead of a steady stream. I've tried adjusting it and cleaning it out completely, but no change. So I need a new one. If anyone knows if the TOM Filter is a good filter for a 3 gallon tank, would you recommend it? If not, what filter would be the best?

After I get a better filter, I think I have done everything that I can possibly do for my fish in a 3 gallon tank. I took out a lot of his gravel so he has more room. I cleaned it thoroughly several times. Tested the water quality and got it to a stable, slightly healthy, level. Now all I need is a good filter, and I think I'm set.

Again, thank you to everyone that has given me advice. It has been very very helpful and everyone has been super nice and genuine. (y)

Never seen it before, but it looks lime a great little filter. Now would be the time to change since your bacteria hasn't colonized yet.

I recommend cycling the tank for about 2-3 weeks

I recommend cycling a tank until its cycled...

This. I've never cycled a tank. But I've read so much info on cycling and I know that there's no definite time that it takes to cycle.

Thanks for contributing to the actual topic though. Haha. But I've received so much information on this thread so it's fine.

If anyone wants to let me know more about cycling, have at it. Any info will be good.

More experienced members correct me if I'm wrong, but it may help to add a hardy plant like java fern. I dont think goldfish eat that, and the plant will help a bit with water quality. Not enough to totally solve the ammonia problem, but every little bit helps?

More experienced members correct me if I'm wrong, but it may help to add a hardy plant like java fern. I dont think goldfish eat that, and the plant will help a bit with water quality. Not enough to totally solve the ammonia problem, but every little bit helps?

My ammonia levels are doing great so far. pH is steady as far as I know. But that would help keep my ammonia levels from spiking up really high.

Plants are a nice idea, but without gravel right now, you'd need to stick with something that float. The goldfish will eat some of the plants, but the greens are healthy for him. Take a look at this:

Keeping live plants with goldfish - The Goldfish Tank

Very good read. I should go to Petsmart or a local fish store and pick up one of these? The live plants should maintain ammonia levels to a stable condition, right?

Chances are you won't find many plants at Petsmart. The ones near me rarely have anything worth the price you're asking. You could check the classifieds here on the forum. Someone likely has some at a very reasonable price.

Oh, and java fern and anubias can just be tied to a piece of driftwood, but again you run into the issue of water displacement, which is why you took out your substrate to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom