How do i entertain goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Usually that's what fish do. Is it just unhealthy or just not doing anything? How big is the tank?

You don't really have to entertain a fish. They are fine just living in solitude.

What kind of goldfish, how big of a tank?

If you mean hes just sitting in one spot for a long time, that might mean something is wrong. Generally, goldfish are always moving, searching for food.

Hello, sorry to jump in on your question. I have a goldfish, that some of the time it will stay in one spot and do nothing? And always the same spot. And other times he will be doing the normal foraging. Is there something wrong with it? Cheers in advance.

They was a surprise gift (one of two), I was in the middle of cycling my new 30 gallon and the inlaws brought a couple of fish over, so kinda stuck with them for now. It has helped the cycling, all water testing ok, so it's not that. I have had them a about two weeks now and plan on giving them away asap.

I thought as much, added some new plants and bw and he seems fine having a good look around. Cheers.

Listen I'm not wanting to pick on you, just help. Did you read the links everyone has provided for you in your other threads? Running a tank empty for a few days is NOT CYCLING. Your tank is now cycling with your fish in it. This is ok BUT you need to buy a liquid test kit and change at least 50% for the water everyday to keep your little guy from suffering from ammonia burns. What happens is fish produce ammonia. Ammonia is toxic to them. Keeping them in tanks allows for the ammonia to build up and harm the fish. Bacteria will grow in the filter (and around the tank on all surfaces) to feed on the ammonia. A new tank does not have these bacteria so the ammonia builds and builds until it can hurt or kill your fish. It is now your job to keep the ammonia readings as low as possible until the bacteria has multiplied. Once the bacteria grows to consume the ammonia it turns it into nitrite. Nitrite is just as deadly as ammonia so it is your job to do water changes to keep the nitrite levels down. More bacteria will grow and consume the nitrite and turn it into nitrate. Nitrate is considerably less toxic to fish. This process of bacteria growing takes on average 4-8 weeks to complete.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Last edited:
Is this advice for me or the original poster? I'm confused.

Iwillbeatyoutwice said:
Yeah you don't need to worry about me. But thank you.

Well, I kind of am because I know your tank is new and you've added a fish so now you are cycling. There is nothing wrong with cycling with a fish in the tank if done correctly - daily water changes.

The tank has been going for weeks not days, with previously used substrate, and a used filter, also plants. The water tests ok, I have a master test kit. I do water changes also since I put the fish in it. The fish are an unwanted gift as they are not my choice of species plus I knew the tank wasn't ready as I was still scaping it. Also the tank is 30 gallon.

Do you have me mixed up with another person? I appreciate all the advice I can get, but some of the parameters you have mentioned are not matching mine.

My question was that I had never seen a gold fish that hung around in the same place for any period of time. In my other tank they seem to be on the go all the time. Unusual behavior usually signifies something.

Cheers for all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom