How do i get brown algae under control?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any ideas? Iv stopped using plant food and iv reduced the lighting by 1 hour.

I have one light and that is 7500K

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 2ppm (but I have darker water as in I use bogwood peat pellets etc)
I have some fluval lab service phosprite remover (I have no idea how to spell it sorry) that's not in the filter but iv got got some would that help? I do 20% water changes weekly, I'm doing one today.

I know I can't completely remove it but iv noticed its spread a little so I'm just worried it will go on my plants. Luckily I have ottos and they help a little.

7 barbs 5 ottos 200L tank

Diatoms... aka.... Brown algae use silica in water to produce their shells that help give them their brown color. If your tap is from ground water, chances are there's no way to truly get rid if them. They do generally go away on thei own in established tanks, but not always. I've battled it in my tank from almost the beginning. Having ottos is a big help, nerite snails also like diatoms.

The link below has some additional info.
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

I don't want to get ride of it I just want to have a little more control over it. For some reason my Otos refuse to eat it off the back of the tank but they are happy to eat It off the plants and wood etc which is a little annoying. Would the water changes help?

If its a newish tank it's probably just Diatoms, I've finally just got rid of mine - nothing to worry about everyone gets them and I wouldn't spend to much much time trying to clear them as they come back pretty quickly until the silicates are finished, I've read Seachem Seagel can help in the filter, buts it's probably the only Seachem product I've never used, so I can't say how good it is at removing silicates.

Yeah it's new it's only been set up for about 3 or 4 weeks. I hope it goes on its own if it stays where it is I don't mind but if it goes on my lovely Indian ferns then I'll do something :p thanks people :)

Definately don't worry if the tank is that new, it's usually a sign that the tank is close to finishing its cycle or just cycled I've found. Good thing is they are easy to wipe off, cleaning them off plants is very easy and your otto should really help. I spent weeks battling them, I just give up in the end and a week later they where gone - personally I think leaving them alone speeds up the process of them going as there is more off them to eat whatever they are feeding on.

I just saw that link, that is really useful thank you I'll keep that :) yeah the cycle is probably just finishing even tho I done a fishles cycle. I think I done it wrong I was putting the ammonia at 6 or 7ppm and I was doing that like twice a day and the nitrate when threw the roof it was at 150ppm. Anyway I sorted that out so that's now a worry anymore. I'll keep an eye on it on the algae just in case :) if I add plant food would that affect it? (I use tetras liquid plant food)

my quick suggestion is sometimes while doing your water changes instead of topping the H2O with tap water, I use distilled be aware if you replace to much your H2O will be to soft in the Ph sense but that helps getting rid of some of the brown algae, 2nd option I have personally used some snails cnt remember their name they eat all day everyday they r like the equivalent of Turbo snails in the SW.:popcorn:

The first point I agree with but I would rather not interfere with it, if I know it's going to go on its own and it isn't doing any harm then I'm not that worried about it.
The second point I could use them but I got a lot of plants and iv heard some snail eat plants so I'd be a little worried there and I got tiger barbs I don't know if it's true but iv heard they eat them as well and I don't want to add unnecessary completion to my ottos.

Back
Top Bottom