How do I know if my canister filter is working properly ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshv155

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an aquatop 400 canister filter. First time using a filter like this. I set it up several weeks ago and I am in the process of trying a fishless cycling of my 75 gallon tank. How do I know if the filter is working properly. Power went out because of a snow storm and came back on when we were gone after 2 days...it just seems like there isn't much flow coming out of the return tube...there is water coming out of it. And should there be suction on the out take tube ? I can't feel any....can't see any water going through the intake/outake tubes either and my tank has small particles floating around...

Note: I tried cycling with fish prior to reading up and realizing this was a bad idea. They all died...I found one under the sand and he must have been there a few days. I think some of the stuff floating around may be the the fish that was decomposing. Shouldn't my filter take care of this ? Not big pieces or anything just small stuff....seems like my tank should be much less polluted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

your filter should take care of it yes!

I would say disconnect the hoses and take the canister to the tub. check to make sure the impeller and magnet are clean .. that's where I would start

Canisters that had power cut for a few days should be opened & cleaned. The anaerobic conditions inside the canister during the power out can cause the bacteria to produce bad stuff (H2S, eg) that is harmful to fish.

I would take the filter apart & rinse all media in dechlor water. And cleaning the impeller & the various water flow paths will help restore flow.

Also, if the canister is not totally air-tight, a slow leak of air in a joint (during the power out) may produce an airlock, decreasing the flow. So, after cleaning, reprime the unit to see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom