How do I know there is enough oxygen in the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueAnchors

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just finished cycling my tank and everyone is in! but now I am wondering how do I know if there is enough oxygen in there for everyone. I have 1 angelfish and 6 leopard danios in a 29 gallon tank. My waterfall from my filter really doesn't create that many bubbles.

If the top of the tank is open (i.e. the top is at least set off the water a bit if you have 1, or it is not obstructed by a bio film or anything like that), there is plenty of surface area for gas exchange on a 29gal tank. You should be just fine. Just keep the water parameters within range, and keep the temperature within range, and your O2 levels will be great.

as long as there is a good bit of surface movement then it is enough. If you don't see any fish gasping or hanging at the top then I wouldn't worry about it. The bubbles themselves do little compared to the gas exchange on the water's surface.

oh ok! One last question. This may seem crazy but where I live it is super hot and humid and my tank is around 81 degrees. So how can I cool it? I was thinking ice cubes....

I would recommend the fan... not sure I would go with ice cubes. Using ice will cause much more in the way of fluctuation, and the cooling would be far less even.

I recommend an air stone for any tank. They help aerate and can possibly save the whole tank one day if the filter stops running for some reason.

What fish do you have? Most likely that temp is fine.

Agree the temp is probably fine. Disagree on the necessity of an airstone. It would take an awfully long time for a filter breakdown to cause an issue with O2. I don't run airstones on any tanks. Of course there is no harm in running one if you like it or want it... Unless you are injecting co2 for plants.

If you set up a fan to blow across the top of your tank, it will help keep the temperature down, but be aware that your evaporation will increase quite a bit.

An air stone should never be a necessity, but I have seen them save entire tanks when the filters stopped running (equipment failure does happen). Depending on how well the tank is stocked there could be issues in as few as a couple hours.

Many fish like the bubbles. Even with adequate aeration they can still help. It is like opening the windows on a nice spring day, it is not a necessity, but nicer if you do.

Ill also say that I put an airstone in my hob filter, right behind the bio material, I assume it helps keep the bacteria well oxygenated, while still getting plenty of waterflow, plus areates ur tank with no bubbles in the actual tank... (paticularly good for bettas, cuz they hate currents but like good water)

Back
Top Bottom