How do i know when my cycle is ready?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm doing a planted cycle. I have some nitrates 0 ammonia 0 nitrites. Ph is 7.6. Fish already acclimated to that tap water. Is my cycle ready?

AaronW said:
I'm doing a planted cycle. I have some nitrates 0 ammonia 0 nitrites. Ph is 7.6. Fish already acclimated to that tap water. Is my cycle ready?

Not sure what you mean by planted cycle. A tank won't cycle without an ammonia source & plants don't provide that unless this is some type of cycling I've not heard of. The fish should be acclimated to the tank water not the tap water. Did you add a water conditioner? If not the chlorine & such in your tap will harm if not kill your fish.

All my water is conditioned. The dead plant material provided ammonia. Because I had some spikes. But I've been cycling for like a month now .

AaronW said:
All my water is conditioned. The dead plant material provided ammonia. Because I had some spikes. But I've been cycling for like a month now .

Hmm, that's a new one for me, but I am still considered a newbie. My fish in cycle took 8 wks on my 10g & the 46g fish in took 5-6 wks.

AaronW said:

Oh, how many fish are you adding? If you add too many at once your BB may not be able to handle it so hopefully you're only adding a few & then add more at a later time.

Well planted is still considered a fish less cycle. But i tested my water.. There were a few spikes of ammonia. But my nitrates are at about .25 and nitrites and ammonia at 0.

shellieca said:
Oh, how many fish are you adding? If you add too many at once your BB may not be able to handle it so hopefully you're only adding a few & then add more at a later time.

I'm running an AC 70 and a fluval 405 filtration. I added 5 fish. A Pleco, honey gourami, Pictus cat, tiretrack eel, a goldfish.

I know that gold fish like cold water. But for some reason this fish has lived in tropical environment his whole life. So I think he's adapted.

AaronW said:
I'm running an AC 70 and a fluval 405 filtration. I added 5 fish. A Pleco, honey gourami, Pictus cat, tiretrack eel, a goldfish.

I know that gold fish like cold water. But for some reason this fish has lived in tropical environment his whole life. So I think he's adapted.

I would keep testing the water daily for about a week to make sure your BB is handling the bio load.

Did you add an ammonia source constantly? If your decaying matter didn't create enough ammo to the fish you stocked your could be in for a fishin cycle as well. Normally you add ammonia till it is around 4ppm and wait till it hits zero and put it back in. You can't do it now because you have your fish in the tank. It might be cycled but what was the highest amount of ammonia you had present?

AaronW said:
Well planted is still considered a fish less cycle. But i tested my water.. There were a few spikes of ammonia. But my nitrates are at about .25 and nitrites and ammonia at 0.

.25 nitrate? Are you getting nitrite and nitrate mixes up? The nitrate scale normally starts at 5ppm. If its .25 nitrite you are not cycled.

Hobgob said:
.25 nitrate? Are you getting nitrite and nitrate mixes up? The nitrate scale normally starts at 5ppm. If its .25 nitrite you are not cycled.

No. I'm positive it's nitrate. Nitrites are at 0. So is ammonia.

Can you take a picture of your readings?

I've heard of cycling with only plants, I think it's called silent cycling. But, when I read about it, it was pretty involved.

Coco1019 said:
Can you take a picture of your readings?

I've heard of cycling with only plants, I think it's called silent cycling. But, when I read about it, it was pretty involved.

I'm at school right now. I can later?

So have you had fish this whole time or did you just add plants and let the tank run without fish? If so I suspect it may not be fully cycled yet, but it would depend on how high ammonia got. Usually you need to keep adding a constant source of ammonia either manually or with fish. What size tank is this?

Back
Top Bottom