How do I know when my tank is cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TonyMontana

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Its been 15 days now since I started cycling my 30 gallon FW with Three Zebra Danios I have two aquatech 30-60 filters with new and used filter media. I took my water to petco to get tested and the results were ammonia .05 I dont remember the nitrate and nitrite levels but he told me that they were high. He told me that I was close to finishing the nitrogen cycle but i want to get a second opinion I hope you could help me thanks.:crazyeyes:

I suggest getting the API master test kit. Petco and petsmart use the quick dip sticks, not the liquid test. I dunno how far you are, but it seems your not close to done though. Check out the fishless cycle thread here. It's on the top of this forum. You'll know your done, when your nitrites are zero though (ammonia should be zero too).

+1 for the API master kit. If you really want to be sure of your tank's water quality, you need to check by yourself.
Cycling with fish could be slower than cycling fishless, because you can control the ammonia levels. But a lot of people cycle their tanks with fish.

I would encourage you to read the thread posted in this forum call fishless cycle for dummies, it will help you a lot to understand the Cycle process.

For now it's important that you read your levels of Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates everyday, and do partial water changes as needed to maintain a healthy conditions for your fish.

Once you start your own readings post your results here, and you will get more and better advice,
:cool:

Back
Top Bottom