How do I read my 5 way test strips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djarchngl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I tested my water today, but nowhere on the box does it tell me what the different colors mean... and I couldn't seem to find it online.

Here's what my test read:

Nitrate: light pink
Nitrite: White
Hardness: Dark Brown
Alkalinity: blueish green
PH - Pinkish Red

any help?

Strip tests are notorious inaccurate. I would look into a liquid test kit if you can get one.

thnks for the info, but that still doesn't help me out at all..

Not to be facetious but the best way to read a test strip is while it's laying on it's back in the trash.

I will echo theotheragentm...invest in liquid reagent.

Most (or all?) of us on here don't have test strips so will not be much help in determining what your colors mean. I know Petsmart uses test strips when customers bring water in to have it checked, so that may be your best bet in getting them read.

However, to echo Jchillin and theotheragentm, it would be much better if you got a liquid test kit (API Master Freshwater test kit runs about $30 and you get 100s of tests out of it). It's a little more work than test strips, but far more accurate (and you get laminated color cards that tell you what your parameters are).

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately I am of the same mind as the others. An AP FW test kit is the way to go. In the kit for the test strip you got does it list the results of the colors in the directions? Not that I think it will help, as mentioned the test strips are notoriously inaccurate.

I'm gonna agree with everyone else. If I still had my first test kit, I could help ya out, but I switched over to liquid a LONG time ago.

That is probably why you aren't getting the answer you are looking for (not many of us use the same kit as you).

Sorry we can't help you out more than this.

Why don't you post what exact kit you are using. I bet in 5 minutes one of the many members on this forum could find out for you. :)

Oh, and dump those strips! :D

The colors should be on the side of the bottle.

And I agree with everyone else, get the API kit.

The API Master kit is only $14 on the Petsmart website. Print that out and take it to the store, it is company policy to price match. That's a pretty good deal and well worth it.

As you can already see, you must be careful with the test strips, they can get moisture in the container from opening and closing the lid, and oddly they do expire, why a company would make something that important expire that quickly I don't know lol once you do use them up consider a liquid reagent test for your parameters. They are very dependable, and I find it kind of fun using individual test kits to test the water lol I only use Aquarium Pharmacueticals test kits, I find them to be quite accurate and ther enot very expensive if ya order them. I beileve Hagenmakes test kits also that are very dependable.

Back
Top Bottom