How do you get the temperature stable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpulido0316

Aquarium Advice Regular
The guy at my lfs came to the conclusion that my fish got Ick from temperature swings. I have a heater but the lightbulb keeps fluctuating the water by +/- 2 degrees sometimes more. How can I fix it so it stays semi constant if not constant.

Tank parameters:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate : 5ppm
5 gallon hex shape
Less than 10gallon adjustable heater
Not sure if its incandescent or fluorescent but it's the bulb the tank came with.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi.
If you are talking 1-2 deg Fahrenheit then I wouldn't worry too much. The change is not that great and it would be gradual. A couple of degrees centigrade might be more of an issue.
I don't agree with your LFS about the ick. Unhealthy or stressed fish seem more prone to ick but minor fluctuating temp is not an issue.
If you have ick in the tank then you need to break the cycle, my preferred option is to raise the temp to 80-82 f, good water changing routine and gravel cleaning (where the ick parasite is most likely found). I'm not a fan of medication.
Ick is brought into the tank by unquarantined fish, so you likely got the ick from the LSF in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Flourscent. Ok. Well it could sometimes go from 73 all the way to 77. It would change depending on the light and the temperature of the room. I raised it up 82 over the last three days and have been giving them tetra Ick guard. I had to move my shrimp to a seperate container because of the medicine but no one in the invertebrates forum responded on how to hold them temporarily. Its probably true. I just want everyone healthy you know?

When i treated for ich i refused my water temp to +88 degrees Fahrenheit. No medications, and 2 weeks after raising the temp i was and am ich free. I had some ghost shrimp die during the treatment but they where new

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wanted to try that with my ember tetras but one of the three shrimp was berried. I didn't know how the heat would affect them and i panicked I suppose since I had 4 fish die already. The Ick is almost gone though. Just one spec left.

Yeah that's what I read online. Should I just keep dosing medicine for like a couple more days after the spots are gone?

I would follow the medication directions. I haven't used them so I can't help you there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The white spot is the stage where the parasite multiply. The medication has no effect on the ick at this stage. It is only when the spot appears to go that the parasites become free swimming and can be killed by medication. Failure to treat this post-spot stage will result in further outbreaks. The free swimming stage, not visible to the naked eye, is shortened by higher temperature. At normal aquarium temperature this stage can exceed a week. That is why higher temperatures are recommended along with gravel cleaning and good water changing. If you stick to just the medication then you have to follow the instructions and medicate for more than a few days after the last spot disappears.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Flourscent. Ok. Well it could sometimes go from 73 all the way to 77. It would change depending on the light and the temperature of the room. I raised it up 82 over the last three days and have been giving them tetra Ick guard. I had to move my shrimp to a seperate container because of the medicine but no one in the invertebrates forum responded on how to hold them temporarily. Its probably true. I just want everyone healthy you know?

73 is pretty low for tetras. You should bump it up around 80-82 and leave it there.

I keep my tanks, fresh and salt, at 80+ and have never had any issues with anything relating to temp.

A temp swing is never going to cause ich. Ich is a parasite that is brought in by adding infected fish or contaminated water.

Large temp swings can however stress fish making the problem worse, but thats unlikely in your sotuation as the temp swing isnt very large. Water temperatures fluctuate constantly between day and night in the wild and fish do just fine out there.

Back
Top Bottom