How do you perform your water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plantnoob

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've always in the past had small aquariums up to 30 gallons. Water change was a relatively easy affair. With my now larger 90 gallon aquarium, I've progressed to a python water change system. It makes water change a breeze, but I seem to have trouble matching the water temperature. Even a simple 30% water change could mean more than 30 gallons of water being changed out. The difference between the aquarium water which is at 78 and the tap water at 87, is about 9 degrees. A 30% water change means my aquarium water temperature changes by 3-4 degrees by the time I'm done and then slowly comes down to room temperature. I haven't found good references on what kind of temperature changes can fish withstand. I can't imagine doing this using buckets to get the water to room temperature etc. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use a large plastic trash can and put it on a cart with wheels
Then I use a pond pump to pump water from aquarium to can then to the sink
I fill from tap and adjust water temp with warm water or ice cubes depending on time of year
I can change up to 40 gallons at once
I usually change 25 gal on my 75 gal tank weekly

Wow, looks like you have it down, but sounds like a lot of work to me. I don't have enough space to put a big trash can inside the house and putting it outside defeats the purpose. Will have to think more about how to make this work!

I use a "homemade" python device made of a garden hose, doing this for years since at times I have up to 3 tanks running. Matching the temp doesn't have to be so accurate, a couple of degrees + or - is fine and I go by feel, I usually come up very close to the tanks temp changing 50% of the water.
You'll be surprised how close you can match the temp that way and keep an eye on the thermometer as the tank gets filled. You'll get pretty good at it as time goes by.

Assuming that your water source has a way to control hot and cold water:

Place a thermometer in a small container and place it under the faucet. Adjust the water temperature until its closer to what you want before re-routing the water into your aquarium. Its a bit tedious, I know, but it gets the job done.

When I was doing it that way, I would actually end up starting with water that was a few degrees warmer than I wanted. By the time it made it through the hose and mixed with the tank it was usually spot on (or very close).

Youre probably fine with a few degrees variance though. You can always add the water back in more slowly so that any changes happen more gradually.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom