How does this sound? --- 29 gal stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It should be, but to be on the safe side, always have a back-up plan if anything happens (This really applies to everyone in the aquarium.)

Great! Thanks everyone! I'll be posting pics of the finished tank this summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App

Not necessarily. Angels and Rams will do fine with just about any fish you put them with... until they start breeding, but usually only run in to problems if they're in a smaller tank. I don't think you'll have any issues with the keyholes, but I'm not familiar enough with the others to even comment on them.

Rams are wonderful to have with other fish. I've bred Bolivian Rams in a 29G tank, and the don't bother any of the other fish. And if they get too close to the eggs, they just tend to push the other fish away, they were never aggressive. The German Blue Rams are harder to keep as well, I didn't have a lot of luck keeping them alive, but I still have my original Bolivians, going on 7 years now. Currently in a 75G Planted.

If you are concerned about aggression, keep a single specimen of your pearl gourami and your Bolivian ram. When they don't have the opportunity to breed, they are much less likely to show aggression toward your other fish.
Having more than one Bolivian would be no problem with the other fish. The only aggression I've ever seen is towards another Bolivian, and even that I wouldn't consider as aggression. But other fish like my plecos or other fish, they just push away and keep pushing til they decide to move elsewhere. Never attack.

Lonewolfblue said:
Rams are wonderful to have with other fish. I've bred Bolivian Rams in a 29G tank, and the don't bother any of the other fish. And if they get too close to the eggs, they just tend to push the other fish away, they were never aggressive. The German Blue Rams are harder to keep as well, I didn't have a lot of luck keeping them alive, but I still have my original Bolivians, going on 7 years now. Currently in a 75G Planted.

Having more than one Bolivian would be no problem with the other fish. The only aggression I've ever seen is towards another Bolivian, and even that I wouldn't consider as aggression. But other fish like my plecos or other fish, they just push away and keep pushing til they decide to move elsewhere. Never attack.

Great help! Thanks. I have a feeling I'll love my Bolivian ram. Good info to know.

From the few successful breedings that I had, I currently have 7 in my 75G. They are awesome fish. Probably my fav of all the fish I have, with one exception. My 18+ inch Fire Eel.

So, sorry to bring this back up but...

what order should I introduce these fish into my new 29g?

Starting with the 5 Zebra Danios and the 1 Marble Molly, because I already have them in my current 10g which I'll make into my QT after its all said and done.

After those, I have 1 - Bolivian Ram
1 - Pearl Gourami
and 5 Black Skirt Tetras that I want.

What order should I add them?

It's always a possibility. Every fish is different. As the OP does not wish to breed, I suggested keeping a single specimen not only for the other fish, but to eliminate any possibility of conspecific aggression. My Bolivian rams did not get along in my 29 gallon a few years back and had to be separated. So, to be absolutely sure, I recommended 1 Bolivian and 1 pearl.

severum mama said:
It's always a possibility. Every fish is different. As the OP does not wish to breed, I suggested keeping a single specimen not only for the other fish, but to eliminate any possibility of conspecific aggression. My Bolivian rams did not get along in my 29 gallon a few years back and had to be separated. So, to be absolutely sure, I recommended 1 Bolivian and 1 pearl.

Sounds like a plan. That's what I was planning to do. I want to put in many hiding places too.

I would do the ram last since they like well established tanks, and the black skirts first or second. I second the bristle nose pleco idea, but you could definitely do ottos too! And I think if you kept one keyhole and one Bolivian, they would get along great! Or even two of each, as they are two of the most peaceful cichlids out there! Good luck and please keep us updated! (and pictures would be awesome!)

Homedog98 said:
I would do the ram last since they like well established tanks, and the black skirts first or second. I second the bristle nose pleco idea, but you could definitely do ottos too! And I think if you kept one keyhole and one Bolivian, they would get along great! Or even two of each, as they are two of the most peaceful cichlids out there! Good luck and please keep us updated! (and pictures would be awesome!)

Will do! Thanks. I like my gouramis so may just do a ram and a gourami plus the others but I'll keep the other idea in mind. If all goes well I'll probably have the by the summer time. I'll definitely post pictures. Thanks!

Tank is too small for 2 of each IMO. Gotta consider their max size. :)

Since I don't know a lot about the gourami's and their size, but when I had my 29G up and running, I had 4 Bolivians in it with a BN Pleco. Also had a couple otos. But that was it. I think the gourami would take up the mid to upper tank area? The Bolivians stay down in the lower to low-mid tank area.

Since I don't know a lot about the gourami's and their size, but when I had my 29G up and running, I had 4 Bolivians in it with a BN Pleco. Also had a couple otos. But that was it. I think the gourami would take up the mid to upper tank area? The Bolivians stay down in the lower to low-mid tank area.

Yes, the gourami will stay mostly in the top half of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom