How is my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You really need to get that nitrite number way down. A 50% change should make it 2.5 which is still way to high. You really need to change say 75% of the water, wait an hour or two and then do it again. You want to that the nitrites under 1, preferably close to .5. Angels are very sensitive to poor water conditions. If you have not left for work yet add a double dose of Prime to help deal with the toxicity of the nitrites until you return home.

In the end it's a catch-22 in your situation. Your nitrites are high because your cycle is picking up, the ammonia is getting consumed and nitrites are expelled by the ammonia eating bacteria. This is a good thing usually except in this situation it's bad because with high enough levels nitrite will kill your fish, yet you need them to grow your next set of bacteria which consume nitrites and expel nitrates (meaning your cycle is ending). Hence the ridiculous nature of the 'cycle with fish' concept.

IMO the only choice is water changes and lots of them. I'm sticking w/ what I said before. test test test change change change test test test .. and repeat.

PM me if you want

debbie IMO you are listening to the right people here Rich311k has helped a lot of people out of this kind of thing and captainahab seems right on track to just keep doing what they suggest and you might see if you can take the fish back to the LFS for credit untill your tank is ready if not then really try to get some seeded material from another tank eighter from a friends tank or the LFS this will help jump start your cycle. Good Luck my fingers are crossed for you.

Back
Top Bottom