How is my tank coming along?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrzap

Aquarium Advice Freak
I *think* I am done adding plants. Just put in a new proserpinacia and wisteria yesterday. Opinions? Any ideas? I added 2 golden algae eaters with the new plants and they are in heaven just going from plant to plant :)

newtank3.jpg

Looks really great! I like the dark gravel and how the green of the plants come out in front of the black. Maybe you want to include a black background to give it more depth and have the colors coming out even nicer.

Tiffi said:
Maybe you want to include a black background to give it more depth and have the colors coming out even nicer.

Great idea. I'll put that on my list of things to do.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Jchillin said:
Beautiful!

Just a thought, and I know many folks have issues with it but some java moss over some of your rocks would look great...JMO.

If I can find some java moss at my lfp I think I'll put it on that rock in the back to the right of the filter. What sort of issues have you had?

Java moss can be a positive look in a tank. The problem I see with a lot of tanks with java moss it has just been chucked in the tank on to a large rock here or piece of driftwood and allowed to go. No real thought with how it will flow, blend, or accentuate the other plants or overall design within the tank. If thought out well and trimmed appropriately java moss can be a very nice addition and blend well in a planted tank, if not done properly it sticks out and becomes a negative focal point within a tank. You can search the net and find pics that will represent + or - java growth. Trimming is a must for good looking java moss, IMHO.

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Plant, Java Moss.htm

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2004.cgi?&Scale=3&op=showcase&category=0&vol=0&id=14

the most troublesome thing about java moss is making it stick. The most effective way I had tried is using alot of rubberbands and wait till it attaches.

mrzap said:
Jchillin said:
Beautiful!

Just a thought, and I know many folks have issues with it but some java moss over some of your rocks would look great...JMO.

If I can find some java moss at my lfp I think I'll put it on that rock in the back to the right of the filter. What sort of issues have you had?

The answers provided are absolutely correct. Java moss, left to it's own devices, can grow wildly, clog up filters and become a nuisance.

azn_fishy55 uses the same method I do...rubber band it to your rocks and it will look much nicer and not cause any issues. It is also a detrius trap...so, giving it a squeeze right before PWC's will loosen it and allow it to be removed (also keeping the moss looking nice and green).

Wow. That looks so good! Fantastic stuff!
I wish i could get mine like that!

Are you going to add C02 or ferts? How many watts per gallon do you have?
Swell tank!
Ry.

That is a great looking tank!!

I used to keep a GAE (which is an Albino CAE). They are awsome fish. When he was in there, I never had to clean my glass (now I do it daily). He would sit on the Java Moss...walk around on his fins like legs...in fact all around a geat and good looking fish..... until..... He got over 4 inches (they get over 10), turned psycho and spent all day harrasing my Gourami's. :cry:

I found Larry a new home, but man was I sad to see Him go.... he was the Kids and my GF's fav fish... I was definately a bad guy for a few days after Larry left.

Back
Top Bottom