How long before the nitrifying bacteria dies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougaran

Aquarium Advice Activist
This question came up on another thread. I own whisper filters, but they tend to be a bit too noisy for night time in a bedroom. I'm wondering if i shut them off for a brief period maybe 6 or 8 hours of no water passing thru them, will it kill off the bacteria? I still will be running an UGF.

The other problem is i got the whisper used and didnt realize it was a whisper 5, does anyone know the gph? I still have whisper 2 and 3 somewhere around because i dont know if this too much filter for a 38 gal.

Within 24 hours the bacteria will start to die. You will need a source to add 02 into the tank though, or your fish will suffocate.

i was going to still run the under gravel filter, i just cant stand the noise from the whisper 5 filter at night. My UGF has all 4 stacks going with aeration.

Then I'd just use the Whisper as extra mechanical filtration, rinsing out the pad weekly, during water changes.

Because you have an UGF, turning it off at night would be ok. I wouldn't recommend the for someone using just a HOB.

Some of the bacteria will die, and it prob would not recover 100% during the day. Over time you will kill off the entire colony.

In your case, as the colony in the HOB dies off, the UGF should pick up the slack.

Back
Top Bottom