How long can nitrite phase last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Cougrrr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been in a nitrite spike for 5 weeks now with my fishless cycle, and they are showing no signs of dropping and my nitrates aren't rising. Ammonia is still being consumed, but that's all that's happening. My nitrites were initially way off the charts (around 20 ppm) and I've done enough water changes to bring them down to 4-5 ppm so I can at least read them. But I'm still stuck here. I've tried adding less ammonia so that my nitrites quit spiking back up after a PWC, but all that's done is keep the nitrites under control.

I have never been able to seed my tank with bacteria. Does this happen often with tanks that have never been seeded? How long has this nitrite phase lasted for others? I hope that there's still hope for my cycle! :lol:

Hang in there a tank that is completed unseeded and can take as long as 8 weeks. Try turning up the temperature in your tank to like 80ish. Also, put a little bit of flake food in your aquarium to add trace nutrients. As far as seeding goes, goto your LFS and offer them like $5 for a couple seeded bio-balls. They will sell them for a price I'm sure.

Agreed it is almost there. You should start seeing nitrates soon. With the nitrite spiking aim for your ammonia to be at 2-3ppm. Increasing the temp as suggested can help as well.

I've been in a nitrite spike for 5 weeks now with my fishless cycle, and they are showing no signs of dropping and my nitrates aren't rising. Ammonia is still being consumed, but that's all that's happening. My nitrites were initially way off the charts (around 20 ppm) and I've done enough water changes to bring them down to 4-5 ppm so I can at least read them. But I'm still stuck here. I've tried adding less ammonia so that my nitrites quit spiking back up after a PWC, but all that's done is keep the nitrites under control.

I have never been able to seed my tank with bacteria. Does this happen often with tanks that have never been seeded? How long has this nitrite phase lasted for others? I hope that there's still hope for my cycle! :lol:

I'd try to secure some used media from a friend or REPUTABLE lfs, otherwise, maybe stress-zyme? I know some feel that all bacterial supplements are crap, but I use Stress-zyme, and it can't hurt.

I realize that you don't want to do a fishy cycle, but it may be necessary to introduce goldfish into your tank if all else fails.

Stress zyme will not speed the cycle up. It is not necessary to add fish to the tank to finish the cycle. The fishless cycle is progressing normally. Seeded media as suggested will speed up the last part of the cycle.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions! I've got my temp at 84 degrees, and I'm still trying to locate a bacteria source. My local fish stores don't have any cycled fish tanks; their filter systems get cleaned and changed daily. :confused:

Zagz said:
With the nitrite spiking aim for your ammonia to be at 2-3ppm.

Everytime I do a big water change to bring my nitrites into a readable level and then dose ammonia to 1-2 ppm when it drops to zero, my nitrites spike back up into the unreadable range. I've been adding only enough ammonia to feed the bacteria but not cause a reading, and my nitrites have stayed under control. Should I dose the ammonia higher anyway, and let my nitrites go off the chart?

Keep doing what you're doing.

Have you tried any quality, refrigerated bacteria supplement like Fritz-zyme?

Keep doing what you're doing.

Have you tried any quality, refrigerated bacteria supplement like Fritz-zyme?

Sadly, none of my local fish stores sell any kind of refrigerated bacteria. Just the stuff on the shelves like "Cycle" and "TopFin Bacteria Supplement". :(

If you are having success at 1-2ppm of ammonia, it is fine. The nitrite spike is natural. Adding a bit more ammonia should not change the reaction of the nitrite, simply increase the spike some. Very soon that nitrite will turn to nitrate. I think the end is very near for your cycle.

Cycle will not benefit your tank, it does not contain any live bacteria. Just keep doing what you are doing and start planning what fish to get. :)

With the tanks I've had and cycled,... I really had no problem with the cycle by adding stress-zyme and normal water changes. What size tank and what are you planning to put in it?

This place is really the best! Thanks again!

It's good to know that things are on track, and that my cycle will happen in spite of this seemingly endless nitrite spike. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, practise some patience, and get ready for fish! :D

I've just continued doing what I've been doing, and like magic my cycle is nearly complete! A few days ago, my nitrates started spiking and yesterday I was shocked to see that my nitrites dropped overnight from 5 to 1 ppm! Today they are at .25. Hurray! So my nitrite spike lasted 6 weeks from start to finish.

Back
Top Bottom