how long do i need to continue daily pwc?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollymama

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been doing 50% pwc daily for the past week in attempt to lower ammonia and nitrite levels. Finally the levels are going down (and the fish are acting normal again...whew!). I know we're not out of the woods quite yet, but I'm wondering if I can back off a bit on the water changes--either go to every other day or maybe change less of the water--or if I should continue doing a 50% pwc each day.

If this helps, todays water readings were:

pH 7.6
ammonia .25
nitrite .50
nitrate 10

I'm also adding Prime. This is a 10 gallon tank.

In fish-in cycling tanks I only do water changes every other day. Prime will keep the water safe for up to 48 hours.

When I do the water change, I take out however much I need to in order to bring the ammonia level to .25 or lower, so it just depends on the stocking of the tank.

jetajockey said:
Actually the more water changes that you do the slower the cycling process goes.

I didn't know she was doing a cycle. I thought she just had high ammonia, nitrite, etc. problems.

So I should continue doing this until the tank is cycled and the readings are ideal? It's not a big deal to keep doing it...it's kinda part of my routine now. I have my morning coffee with the fishies while draining the tank. :)

I would say that it will always depend on your tests. If your doing a fish-in cycle, I would keep the ammonia and nitrites <0.25ppm. If it goes over that then it's time for a PWC. There will be days that the levels are not going to go over 0.25ppm and I would say that PWC is unnecessary.

mollymama said:
So I should continue doing this until the tank is cycled and the readings are ideal? It's not a big deal to keep doing it...it's kinda part of my routine now. I have my morning coffee with the fishies while draining the tank. :)

Yes go with the info. jeta said.

Sorry, should have mentioned we're in week 6 of cycling. (Two molly fish in tank.) Last week, though, I rinsed out the filter (bad move, I know now) so I'm thinking I set back things a bit. Also, starting last weekend one of the fish was suffering pretty badly from ammonia/nitrite poisoning, which is why I've been doing the large water changes. It seems to be helping, she's doing fine now. I just wonder if I should keep it up or scale back with the pwc.

jetajockey said:
Actually the more water changes that you do the slower the cycling process goes.

Not really. Most of the bacteria are In the filter and Substrate. If your doing PWC everyday I don't think you'll have to clean the gravel everytime. IMHO I think it's a lot better to slow down the process(if it really does. Maybe just a little) than have toxic levels that hurts your fish.

mollymama said:
Sorry, should have mentioned we're in week 6 of cycling. (Two molly fish in tank.) Last week, though, I rinsed out the filter (bad move, I know now) so I'm thinking I set back things a bit. Also, starting last weekend one of the fish was suffering pretty badly from ammonia/nitrite poisoning, which is why I've been doing the large water changes. It seems to be helping, she's doing fine now. I just wonder if I should keep it up or scale back with the pwc.

Now that I know u r doing a cycle I say every other day do a 50% PWC.

mollymama said:

You'll stop doing it until your tank cycles. If you can't detect any ammonia and nitrites.

Thx all. Maybe I'll test tomorrow am before doing the change and see how the readings are. I'm starting to feel better about the ammonia but the nitrites are still high, so unless they start to drop I should probably just keep on doing what I've been doing.

You said that your ammonia now is .50ppm? If you have time I would do a 50% PWC now to lower it to .25ppm. You don't want it going over that.

Ammonia was actually .25 this afternoon (nitrites were .50).

.50 is still pretty high for nitrites, right? Do you think actually stepping it up to two pwc/day would be a good idea?

I would still lower the nitrite to .25ppm. Keep both ammonia and nitrite <.25ppm.

roydooms said:
I would still lower the nitrite to .25ppm. Keep both ammonia and nitrite <.25ppm.

Keep them at 0.25ppm!!!! WHAT!!!! They should be lower than that on a regular bases.

Base on your test. If you have 1.0ppm, do a 75% to lower it to .25. If it's .5ppm, do a 50% to lower it to .25ppm. You get the idea?

Fishman13 said:
Keep them at 0.25ppm!!!! WHAT!!!! They should be lower than that on a regular bases.

That's your target. You're cycling and it will always go over that. That's less toxic for fish. Unless you do a 100% PWC it's not going down to 0.

Back
Top Bottom