How long does Bio Spira last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm in the process of setting up my 20g. It already has plants. I set my heater at 72 and woke up to a temp of 85, which means I'm going to have to get a new heater. I want to use Bio Spira because it seems the fastest and easiest although its a little expensive. My question is is it better to add all the fish at once (2 rams, 8 tetras, 2 otos) or the tetras first then the rams then the otos (over a period of weeks). If I do the second option will the bacteria stay alive for that amount of time?

I just bought some bio-spira and the information on it told me to add a full load of fish right away.

Bio Spira is designed to only work correctly when it is added at the same time as the total number of fish you plan on keeping in the tank (full fish load). It will become active and begin feeding, colonizing, and reproducing immediately after you add it. It should only need added once.

Many people believe it is sacreligious to add a full fish load to a new tank. So, they add Bio Spira, only a few fish, then after a few weeks, add the rest of the fish and experience ammonia and nitrite spikes, then conclude that Bio Spira doesn't work.

Since Bio Spira is the actual nitrifying bacteria that is found in a naturally cycled tank (and is the only product that is), it needs a full fish load to sustain it after it is added. Otherwise, only the bacteria that can survive on the fish waste in the tank at the time will survive, then when more fish are added later, you'll get spikes.

This is one of the major hurdles in getting Bio Spira available in large chains like PetSmart, Petco, etc.

If you don't believe me check here --> http://www.aquaria.info/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=7372

So I should add all the fish at once. What about like quarenting them? Should I just add all of them at once w/o QT?

Since this is a new setup, the tank will serve as its own quarrantine, so to speak. You will not be adding possibly diseased fish to known healthy ones.

I agree that you need to add your full bioload. That has been my experience and I have used a lot of this stuff. Whatever bacteria is not fed with ammonia will die and it is wasted.

The only caveat to this in your case is the otos. I truly believe they have a much better chance of survival in a well established tank, containing diatoms if possible. In their case I'd wait for several months until you see some diatoms and then add them.

Thanks for the info everybody. My LFS carries some, so I'll be getting some soon. Tank girl, I'll wait to the add the otos.

Im Confused... If I add HALF of my final fish load with the biospira and let them stay there for a couple months and then slowly starting adding 1-2 fish every 2 weeks or so, I shouldn't have any problems, right?

B/C the way you guys are making it sound, you have to add the full fish load and not one fish can be added in afterwards. Even after waiting a couple of months.

let me know
thanks
-Dan

Medusa Head said:
So, they add Bio Spira, only a few fish, then after a few weeks, add the rest of the fish and experience ammonia and nitrite spikes, then conclude that Bio Spira doesn't work.

One or two fish probably don't affect it as bacteria would quickly catch up. It sounds like Medusa is saying that if you add like 4 or 5 then later add another 4 or 5 fish you potentially double the load and the bacteia can't cope.

Adding one or two fish every couple of weeks means you have quarantined them for 4 to 6 weeks each in a seperate tank? Adding the full load at once would seem more convienient :wink:

Convenient is the word! Especially when dealing with aggressive, territorial species that need to sort out their "turf," and adding new members later on can be problematic.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with adding the fish you want now, with Bio-Spira, and adding one or two fish gradually over time. You can use part of the Bio-Spira and then squirt a bit in with each new fish addition, just for insurance. It's your call!

mattrox said:
Adding one or two fish every couple of weeks means you have quarantined them for 4 to 6 weeks each in a seperate tank? Adding the full load at once would seem more convienient :wink:

I quarantine for 2 weeks if I see no health problems by then.
I can think of one thing thats bad about adding a full fish load at once... THE $$$$$$$!!!!!!! Some of us are still in college or even high school for that matter and cant afford to dish out a full fishload for a 75 gallon african mbuna tank. Plus, the LFS doesnt always have everything you want all at the same time (you can always order online but thats even more pricey, but worth it i guess).

JustMy2Cents
-Dan

You are so right! It would be quite a chunk of change to get all of the fish for your proposed tank at once. Just get them as young as possible and rearrange the decor with every addition.

I guess what I was saying is that there are no rules. Just that be careful/fully aware of what you are doing. :) Know what you are getting into and where to get help if things go wrong.

I guess on the QT thing I err on the safe side. If you have heathly fish from the LFS with a few flukes (that you would not worry about or even know about) and they got stressed it could cause them to infest that fish in such numbers to spread to other healthy fish. Something like flukes takes time to build up before you notice the altered behaviour of fish. Eliminating them completely is quite hard to do. Especially in a 70 gal tank.

Took me only one time to learn the hard way about the importance of a Q-tank - never be without one again! Just not worth the risk :(

For a new tank you could quarrantine the first additions right in the tank - especially if there are not plants to worry about - and after that new ones go into separate quarrantine as they are purchased.

Back
Top Bottom