How long does it take to control Nitrites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20GalNewbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I used to have more fish than I have listed. 1 Bala, 2 Red-tailed barbs have since died. I've been checking the ph, nitrates, nitrites and hardness every 2 days or so. (Tank is only 2 weeks old) After 3 fish died, I checked everything again and these are my results:
Nitrates are 20
Nitrites are 3.0 --bad bad
PH 7.0
I did a 25% water change with a gravel vacuum today, added water with stress coat and also added Amquel + to reduce the nitrites.
How long will this take to get under control? My Leporinus is a little sluggish and so are my Tigers. The Bala seems to be fine so far. I'm very new to this and I feel like I'm drowning! :(

Okay first of all you are in a bad situtaiont you have an uncycled tank with fish in it. In a situtation like this there are a number of things you can do what are you willing to do, are u really attached to the fish, if you want the fish really bad drop them of at a friends tank that is cycled!

When you post back we will go from their.

HTH

Dan :)

The guy at the LFS told me to not put fish in until after 7 days. Then bring a water sample in and we would go from there. I did just that and he said I could add fish. Everything was fine until l2 nights ago. I noticed the fish were acting funny, but being new wasn't sure why. I checked the tank with the test strips and the nitrites were high. I called my LFS and they said to bring in a water sample. They confirmed the no2 being high. They gave me the amquel + to lower that and told me to do a 25% water change with the vacuum. I just check the NO2 again and it is a little lower. What now? This is quite stressful. Oh and about being attached to the fish, the tank belongs to my 9 year old son.

Okay This is a very touchy situation BTW LFS have a bad habit of teeling you too add fish when your parameters arent in the best of shpae, could you move the fish to a friends tank? do you know someone that has a cycled tank. If you do catch the fish and drop them off in his tank. MAKE SURE HE DOES NOT HAVE AGGRESSIVE FISH.

What do you have in the tank now?

Dan :)

Don't use chemicals to "fix" anything in your tank. Most times they just delay problems. Continue changing your water every day, 25%-30% including vacuming the top of the gravel (don't disturb the bottom because that is where the good bacteria lives). Stress coat is also not needed because all this does is aggrevate the fish "skin" to make it produce more slime. They are under enough stress as is, and the stress coat solution will only harm them more (wierd huh?) They'll be fine on their own without it. What you do need, if you don't already have it, is dechlorinator.

Please also search for information on the cycling of tanks so you can understand the process your tank is going through right now with ammonia and nitrites. Adding some plants can help with nitrites in the long run (try anachris, ludwigia, or even those bulbs you can get at the fish section in walmart).

If possible, you may want to either find a temporary home for your fish with a friend or take some back to the fish store and they can either hold them for you or give you store credit.

You can ride this out if you are prepared to do lots of water changes and possibly loose another fish. Watch out for red or shredded gills. Also, if the fish seem to be gasping for air, or swimming only at the surface (acceptions for surface dwelling fish) they may be suffering from ammonia poisoning, another sign of poor water conditions. If everyone does make it though (and you should know for sure in 2-4 weeks) then you'll be in the clear but still watch for signs of infection or disease since you fish will be stressed out for now.

In the future, add fish very slowly, one or two at a time. Always research the fish you get because you want to make sure they won't outgrow the tank and that they will get along with the rest of the fish. good luck and keep us posted!!!

Hi 20GalNewbie,
Welcome to Aquarium Advice! I'm sorry to hear of your troubles with this tank. Unfortunately, lfs don't explain cycling to first-time fish owners very well. :(

The seven days that you had your aquarium set up with no fish was just wasted time, unfortunately. Your cycle didn't start because you didn't have an ammonia source to start the cycle. Fish and their wastes produce ammonia to start the cycle, OR a lot of us do fishless cycling -- adding household ammonia to start the cycle so fish don't suffer during the cycle.

Read about the nitrogen cycle here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21
http://faq.thekrib.com/begin.html

In the last link, read especially under "Setting up your tank" and "Cycling your tank".

You should get test kits that are more accurate than the strip kits. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes a good test-tube type kit. The tests that you need are ammonia (get the kind with TWO test bottles), nitrite, and nitrate. Your pH of 7 is fine.

For the next week or two, you'll have to check your ammonia and nitrite levels daily. Do a 30 - 50% water change every day, depending on how high the levels are, to keep the ammonia and nitrite from killing the fish. Keep checking the parameters and when the nitrates show up, the tank is cycled. Can you find any freshwater Bio-Spira bacteria from Marineland? If so, use it, but you'll still need to check your parameters and do water changes as necessary. This product will cycle a tank in 2-3 days. It's meant to be added right when the fish are new, not later -- but it can help you out here by adding some good bacteria, so if you can find some, get it. Otherwise, you'll have to go through the cycle the long way -- a few weeks.

When you're changing the water, you can use Amquel as your dechlorinator. Use the amount specified on the bottle for initially treating your tapwater. I use about 6-7 drops per gallon. If you dose more often than the initial treatment, you'll be binding the ammonia away from the "good" bacteria that you want to cultivate. Remember, this bacteria needs the ammonia as its food source. Let the cycling process happen naturally, and do water changes to keep the levels healthy for the fish, and don't depend on a large dose of Amquel. Especially if you buy the Bio-Spira, and then add large doses of Amquel, you'll just be wasting the money you spent on the Bio-Spira! A large dose of Amquel will negate the Bio-Spira.

Also during the water change, try not to use your gravel vac too much. Leave the gravel undisturbed -- the gravel is where the bacteria will grow and live. You don't want to vac it out right away! If your ammonia reading is off the charts, then gravel vac about half the tank to get some of the wastes out. This may prolong the cycle but it's better for the fish to get that ammonia level down. Also during this time, don't rinse your filter media. This is also where the good bacteria will live and grow and you don't want to disturb this area either. HTH!

What size tank are we talking about here? From the fish you list, I would hope at least 75 gallons, preferably 125 gallons +. If your tank is smaller, then you would be best to start over with fish anyhow, as you are just asking for trouble long run, especially as a newcomer to the hobby.

Your LFS is giving bad advice. Please express your displeasure with the owner and explain why you will be shopping elsewhere in the future. You have to hold these LFS accountable.

I hesitate to even mention this... but it is worth consideration. What pH is your tap water? Are you lowering the pH to 7.0 or is it naturally 7.0? If your tap water is higher than 7.0, stop lowering the pH for now and let it rise in the aquarium with water changes. Nitirite is non-toxic at pH levels 7.6 and higher. This is not common knowledge and is a very very grey area, but in the situation you have it is worth knowing. Do NOT use any chemicals to raise your pH. Only use this to your advantage IF your pH is naturally higher than 7.0.

From what everyone is saying, my LFS has some serious issues. I have a 20 Gal tank, 1 Bala, 1 Tiger Barb and 1 Black Banded Leporinus.
I don't know anyone with a fish tank, so a temporary home is out of the question. My tap water must have a PH of 7.0 because I haven't changed that in anyway. I plan on going to a new LFS tomorrow (a very highly recommended one). The owner there said to bring a water sample. And if it is as bad as I say it is, he will let me bring my fish to his shop for some R & R :lol: Then work on getting my tank cycled the correct way. Thanks for all of the help! I am so happy that I found this site and registered with it.
I was planning to get a bigger tank for my family room after this one got settled! So I'll probably be around here for awhile.
BTW, my fish seem to be a lot happier this pm. The Leporinus is doing his typical aerobics again, the bala is swimming around chasing the Tiger barb. This little bit of normalcy makes me feel a little better too! Thanks again!

gad to hear the fish are responding well. Just keep up with water changes if you keep them. Also, sounds like you found a pretty neat little store. Hope this guy is a good one. Good luck and keep us posted!

Just for the record, I am also a "victim" of the LFS advice. I did almost the same thing and my fish suffered, my family suffered by watching the fish suffer and so on. I am currently "recycling" my tank and the past month was entirely wasted. I found AA because I was desperate to recieve proper advice, which thanks to AA, I will be continuing this excellent hobby. Hang in there. And before I forget:

:smilecolros:

Welcome to AA!

Thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes. My fish are doing pretty good. They're hanging in there! I had my water checked today at a new LFS, and they said to go home and bring the fishies back with me. I did just that. They are now happily spending the next, who knows how long, at this guys store. He wants me to start all over cycling my tank. He also talked me into going bigger, 55 gallon. Anyway, so the process starts all over again, but this time with great advice. As soon as it is done, and fish are adopted, I will take and post pictures. Again, thanks for all the help. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom