How long for Nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just ordered an active sponge from angels plus. Just drop it in tank? I suppose so. Better work! Thanks.

You could, or even put it in your filter maybe? I have cut up established filter media in to chunks that would fit in another filter in order to help a cycle. No ill effects on the bacteria from cutting, so that is another option.

Good luck and keep us updated!

I have a fluval and the sponges angels offer are some kinda air activated cube-like sponges so kinda have no choice but to just drop it in tank and wait and see.

Great, I hope the filer helps your cycle along! Yep just attach some airline tubing to an air pump and then the other end of the tubing goes into the tube that the sponge filter will come with.

Wait. I actually have to hook up that active sponge to an air pump? I was under the impression that as unsightly that it may be, that I was just gonna place the sponge somewhere in the tank and just let it be until tests show results? Why air pump hookup when I already have an air stone pumping now?

Wait. I actually have to hook up that active sponge to an air pump? I was under the impression that as unsightly that it may be, that I was just gonna place the sponge somewhere in the tank and just let it be until tests show results? Why air pump hookup when I already have an air stone pumping now?

Oh. Well the way it works is it filters the water by pushing it through the sponge. It might still be useful if you put it in the tank and not run it. When you get it, squeeze it over your current filter media too and then put it in the tank. It comes with a magnet so you can stick it in a corner and attach it to the magnet at the outer rear of the tank so it stays in place. In fact I still have mine and am running it as a third filter in case I ever need to set up an emergency quarantine tank. You're right they are rather unsightly though!

As I wait for seeded filter from angels plus, I still don't have nitrites. I have read other threads regarding same issue and it seems general response is lack of proper minerals in water. What are the chances of that prob with tap water?

Just over 1 month and still no nitrites. Something is definately wrong. Has to be.

Just over 1 month and still no nitrites. Something is definately wrong. Has to be.

It's possible, I'm not sure. It took me a very long time to fishless cycle a tank (7 months) and I had the same issue; no nitrite and almost no ammonia drop (even with seeded media). I changed everything after a month: the tank, decor, filters, etc. on the off-chance something had gotten into the tank to contaminate it. But I tried fishless cycling a second tank for three months and nothing. The only thing I hadn't changed was my water source, so I changed to spring water and added minerals and my tank cycled in three weeks. After the tank cycled and I got fish I slowly reverted back to tap water and still continued to add minerals for a while. Now I'm using straight tap water without minerals and the cycle is holding. Now perhaps there was something in my tap water (or more likely lacking from it) that hindered the cycle but I'll never know for sure.

While I can't say for sure if it's your water, what you could try doing is adding minerals like I did. Kent RO Rite is safe to use for Freshwater and what I used (Seachem Replenish is another brand that does the same thing), so if you wanted to try something else you could try adding some minerals in case something is lacking from your tap water. Might be worth a try at this point.

Well, seeded sponge from angels plus arrived and seachems replenish is ordered from amazon. Sponge is in tank and it better work!

brad15 said:
Well, seeded sponge from angels plus arrived and seachems replenish is ordered from amazon. Sponge is in tank and it better work!

I would now Take the airline tube out of the air stone and put it in the AP sponge filter instead. With the hard time you've been having cycling your tank you might as well set up the sponge as designed to maximize chance of success. I just placed an angelsplus in my new tank last week and within 48 hours ammo was dropping and nitrites showing up. It is the 2nd time ive used their filter to cycle. I have become one if their biggest advocates

Yeah I bought another air pump to run the sponge. Good for you. Hope to have same success. Thanks

Holy s***! I think its finally converting. Ammonia is holding steady at 0 for 2 days and I think color on nitrite chart is a slight purple.

brad15 said:
Holy s***! I think its finally converting. Ammonia is holding steady at 0 for 2 days and I think color on nitrite chart is a slight purple.

Awesome!!! 2x the angelsplus . Keep checking daily and keep us posted,

Not to get ahead of myself it to jinx the cycle, but I ordered seachems replenish to help kickstart the cycle. But now that my ammonia is holding steady for almost 2 days and nitrite beginning to show up on test results, would it hurt to use the replenish or should I just return it?

Back
Top Bottom