How long for Nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brad15

Aquarium Advice Activist
38 gallon tank currently in ammonia stage for roughly a week and a half with 4 small fish. Ammonia has never gone above 1.0. Do a 30% to 50% water change when it reaches .50. I add seachems prime as well. Doing anything wrong? How long for nitrites?

I think it can take 2-4 weeks for nitrites and 4-8 weeks (sometimes longer) for the cycle to complete. Try and do a PWC if it's .25 - .50pmm. I wouldn't let it get any higher IMO.

Your doing nothing wrong- just need some patience! As Mumma stated, fish-in cycling can take 4-8wks (and possibily longer). If you have a friend or know someone one with an established tank, getting some of their established media would speed things up. Theres also a site (angelsplus) that sells live, established filters that many people have had success with cycling their tanks. Please dont hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

Ok cool. I thought messing with filter while cycling is about the last thing you should do?

Ok cool. I thought messing with filter while cycling is about the last thing you should do?

I think she means that you can add extra filter media to your filter that contains beneficial bacteria. It won't hurt your bacteria at all, in fact it will help speed up your cycle.

Sorry for the confusion! Yes, i mean add some extra established/seeded filter media if you can procure some from someone with an established tank. Otherwise, do a search for 'angelsplus' live filters (they sell live, seeded filters) if you want to speed things cycle-wise. Hope this helps!

3 weeks and still no nitrites. Ugh...

Have you tested for nitrAte? Just to see if there is some conversion going on. Depending on how much seeded media you added it's possible there won't be a nitrite phase; I'd check for nitrate just to see what's happening. Is the ammonia still present? Typically nitrites show after ammonia stays at 0.

Still ammonia. Doing water changes and adding prime as needed. Tap water has nitrates so with presence of ammonia I'm definately not cycled.

Yup just did. 0 ammonia from tap . Tank is at .25-.50 ammonia and as usual 0 nitrites. It's been just over 3 weeks and still nothing. Thus is getting ridiculous. Tank looks slightly cloudy even a day after a eater change.

Tap water already has nitrate so like I said earlier I'm doubtful I'm cycled if ammonia is present.

.25 - .50 ammonia. 0 nitrites. 20-40 nitrates. Just over 3 weeks in during fish-in cycle. Any suggestions?

I would use two test tubes and test both tank and tap nitrates, and compare them side by side. 1 ppm ammonia will give about 4 ppm nitrate, so there should be a noticeable difference.

I'm confused. What would that comparison between tap nitrate and tank nitrate show or mean? I'm waiting for nitrite which would surely convince me that the bacteria is present and growing.

Is the ammonia rising at the same levels as it was a couple of weeks ago or is it taking longer to increase between water changes?

Not sure. Just testing 2-3x daily and doing water changes as necessary when ammonia reaches .50. Feeding 1x daily and very lightly. Temp is 76. I use prime after each wc and a bottled bacteria. Don't get it!

Back
Top Bottom