How Long To Cycle??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasmainia300

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, i'm starting a 10 gallon planted setup centered around my betta, along with amano and ghost shrimp, pygmy cories and ADFs. The only one I already have is the Betta, and I was planning on cycling the ten gallon WITH the Betta in it before I get the other fish. I am using a tetra whisper 10-30i internal HOB filter.

My question is, how long might this cycling take? I am willing to be patient but I would at least like to know an estimate so I'm not stuck wondering and I have a realistic idea of when I can get the other fish.

Also, I know it's a long shot but would it be safe to cycle with these other fish as well? If so, I would HAVE to get the ghost shrimp AT LEAST because they are my test to see how my betta reacts to them. If I can't cycle with the ghost or amano shrimp, then I can't cycle with the others either because I can't take the chance of my betta killing something more expensive and something i'm getting more of.... Actually, if it is safe to cycle with the african dwarf frogs, they would also work as a temperament test :D

So what's the deal here? :fish2:

Plan. For 2 months if your not using anything to help speed it up. I am not sure about stocking a 10g but depending on how many of those you plan to have I am almost sure that you will be overstocked.

I would choose between the amano or the ghost and only go with 1 adf. After that it should be fine with a group of 6 corys.

I would expect from 1 - 2 months for it to fully cycle.

Plan. For 2 months if your not using anything to help speed it up. I am not sure about stocking a 10g but depending on how many of those you plan to have I am almost sure that you will be overstocked.

I was planning on 2 ghost and 6 amano. The two ghost are to test my betta's aggression. Was planning 6 cories and 2 adfs as I found a stocking calculator that said I was fine with that stock due to my filter, live plants, and me doing water changes regularly. I don't want to test aggression with Amanos because they are more expensive, but if I can convince my mom then I might.

So can I add any of these before the cycle is fully complete?

If I were you I would just cycle with the beta. Cycles can take as long as 2 months, but if you know anyone with an established tank or if you ask the pet store, you can add some of their filter media to your filter and get cycled in a couple weeks! (How fast will depend on the size of the piece you are given).
I gave my friend my whole 3 year old filter pad to put in her filter of her brand new tank. She added fish right away and only had a mini cycle that lasted about 6 days.

If I were you I would just cycle with the beta. Cycles can take as long as 2 months, but if you know anyone with an established tank or if you ask the pet store, you can add some of their filter media to your filter and get cycled in a couple weeks!
I gave my friend my whole old filter pad to put in her filter of her brand new tank. She added fish right away and only had a mini cycle that lasted about 6 days.

Yeah that's what I'm gonna do, if my LFS will allow it. If not I might try some bottled nitrifying bacteria and even though it probably won't work, it's worth a shot.

Yea, there's a lot of debate about if the bottled bacteria works. Knowing a bit about biology and chemistry I'm personally a skeptic, but some people seem to have had success using it.

I tried with several kinds of the bottled stuff and it didn't work, but a big chunk of super populated filter media got it going very quickly. If you do try the bottled stuff let us know how it goes! I have heard good things about Dr Tims I think it is.

I tried with several kinds of the bottled stuff and it didn't work, but a big chunk of super populated filter media got it going very quickly. If you do try the bottled stuff let us know how it goes! I have heard good things about Dr Tims I think it is.

I ended up getting some loaded filter media from my LFS. Here's the picture of the tank so far: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398059767.797790.jpg

I know it's bare right now but I'm getting a lot more plants soon

I believe Dr Tim's One and Only is very good for cycling, has the correct bacteria , I've been trying to get it myself, but it's not sold in Oz

Back
Top Bottom