Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2003, 04:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long to develop nitrites?

Set up my old aquarium, began using "Cycle" as posted in another thread, and got no results. A few days later, I then added ammonia to the tank (~5ppm). I added a bit more ammonia to get back to 5ppm a few days later and even dropped in a couple pieces of food. It's been 9 days now and I have no nitrite readings, and still have ammonia in the 3-4ppm range.

I have not seeded the tank. I'm using a bio-wheel filter, no real plants, no fish at all.

Should I start to have nitrite readings by now?

Old 10-17-2003, 05:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stop using Cycle and save your money. Be patient and you'll see Nitrites eventually. It can take over 2 weeks before you start to see Nitrites and I suspect the dose of Cycle will delay their appearance. The entire process can take quite some time so be patient.

Search the forums and internet for topics on "fishless cycle" and you'll get some good info on how the process works (sounds like you already got some fishless cycling info though).

The only product that will actually "seed" the tank is called Bio Spira. Other products such as Cycle and Stress Zyme don't work.

Old 10-21-2003, 02:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alternatively, use starter fishes to cycle your tank. Starter fishes are basically hardy cheap begineer fishes like the zebra danio and mollies. Throw a few of these fishes into your tank and let nature take over.

The fishes waste will cause bacteria that feeds on the waste to flourish in your tank in time. To prevent your fishes being stressed ouy by excess ammonia caused by its own waste, do daily 20% water changes.

In time the natural balance between the waste produced by your fishes and the bacteria in your tank will be established. This willl take about 3 weeks. After this time, you may add a few more fishes.

start a fish tank not a chemistry lab.

EDIT: speeling 8O

Tags
long, nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com