How long to run 2 filters to avoid a cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since i will be upgrading from a 55g to a 125g soon i figured i'd go ahead and buy the fx5 now and run it with the current fluval. The only question is how long will it take for the bacteria to move into the new canister? I have no idea, its gotta be shorter than a few weeks I'd think since I could cycle a tank from scratch in that amount of time.

carey said:
Since i will be upgrading from a 55g to a 125g soon i figured i'd go ahead and buy the fx5 now and run it with the current fluval. The only question is how long will it take for the bacteria to move into the new canister? I have no idea, its gotta be shorter than a few weeks I'd think since I could cycle a tank from scratch in that amount of time.

Pretty big jump in gallons, IMO I'd leave for a couple weeks at least. If you can add some of the media from the HOB to the fx5 canister and replace what you take from the HOB with new. The old media in the HOB should reseed what you pulled rather quickly.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

I dont have a hob on this tank. I'm just running a fluval 305 canister right now. So leave both running on the 55 and then leave both running on the 125g totalling a few weeks you think? Seems like an awful long time lol

Actually, since I'm going from fluval to fluval cant I just take the media out of the 305 and out it in the fx5? Would that work as well? I know there will be new media since the fx5 is so big but just a thought.

carey said:
I dont have a hob on this tank. I'm just running a fluval 305 canister right now. So leave both running on the 55 and then leave both running on the 125g totalling a few weeks you think? Seems like an awful long time lol

My bad, thought you had a HOB, sorry.

You could add seeded media to new one and let both run on 55 for a while (10 days?), then move fx5 to the 125 and you're fully seeded and ready to go.

That's exactly what i needed clarified. If I score the setup tomorrow i will order my fx5. It will take a while til i can move the 125 into place anyway.

Thanks for your help sir!

carey said:
Actually, since I'm going from fluval to fluval cant I just take the media out of the 305 and out it in the fx5? Would that work as well? I know there will be new media since the fx5 is so big but just a thought.

If you don't need the 305, then it should work fine. My only thought was that you have a bacteria load for 55g and you're jumping to 125g. IMO, more water needs more bacteria and I'd run both for a while to try and avoid a mini cycle.

Are moving gravel/sand, decco over? They have bacteria which will help too.

Yep was gonna move all the gravel and add some of course. I wasn't sure if it was a day thing or if a longer time was needed. Even if i dont get the setup I'll prob still get the filter. I can start now seeding it on the 55. I'd prefer not having both running on the 125g.

carey said:
Yep was gonna move all the gravel and add some of course. I wasn't sure if it was a day thing or if a longer time was needed. Even if i dont get the setup I'll prob still get the filter. I can start now seeding it on the 55. I'd prefer not having both running on the 125g.

As long as everything doesn't dry out (gravel, decco, etc) the bacteria will still be good. I agree that you don't need both, but to avaid a mini cycle it might be worth it, if only for a week.

Oh no nothing will dry out. It'll be a busy afternoon one weekend. thats another worry I have, the moving of the tank. The 125 is going where the 55 is now so I have to break down the small one, move it then move in the big one. I was gonna wait a few days so I have time to load and rockscape before moving the fish over.

carey said:
Oh no nothing will dry out. It'll be a busy afternoon one weekend. thats another worry I have, the moving of the tank. The 125 is going where the 55 is now so I have to break down the small one, move it then move in the big one. I was gonna wait a few days so I have time to load and rockscape before moving the fish over.

Sounds like fun :p.

I'll be posting every boring detail in my build thread lol.

Stop by sometime and let me know what you think. :)

Thanks for your help!

carey said:
I'll be posting every boring detail in my build thread lol.

Stop by sometime and let me know what you think. :)

Thanks for your help!

Great! Love getting new ideas, so I'll be following.

That's one of the best benefits here at AA :).

Yeah Carey, you can put your media in your fx5 for a while. As long as you don't immediately add new fish, you will be fine. Give it a week or two after setting up the new tank before you start working on finishing your stocking.

Thanks guys. I won't be in a rush to stock I've learned my lesson on that one. lol So about two weeks to be certain. Got it.

Back
Top Bottom