How many albino corys should I get ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rosebudshoes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm very new to tropical fish keeping and although I started with a 10 gallon tank, I realised that I needed a bigger one so got a 35 gallon secondhand. I put my 3 male guppys and 4 Amano shrimps into the new tank but would also like to get some Albino Corys but not sure how many to get? The only other fish I'm planning to get are some Platys (maybe 4-6) and maybe a couple more Guppys. All help would me much appreciated, thanks!

Corydoras

Sorry, should have said Pygmy albino Corys!!

Hello rose...

Never heard of pygmy Albinos. Corys do best in a shoal of 6 or more. Get 6, but before you do, make sure you plant the bottom of the tank well. Corys are a bit shy and prefer shaded areas for hiding.

I use Anubias nana tied to pieces of lava rock with dark sewing thread. Just attach the plant and place it on top of the substrate. No need to plant this one.

B

I have a group of 5 peppered and 3 pandas in my "fake" planted 55g ... And 2 albino 1 peppered and one bronze in my 20g with a boat for them to hide in :) As long as there is somewhere for them to sleep and hide behind they do great, I've 15 babies waiting to join them in my new 110g .. Well they will be shared between my 55 and 110 ;)

Also I'm going to get 2 more bronze today , I feel so sorry for the little guy all alone , the peppered will be ok he has lots of siblings ready to go in with him :)

Thanks for all the advice guys!! So do you think I need somewhere for them to sleep? My tank has a heavily planted corner at one side with some bogwood and a rock with holes in it but my Guppys and Amano Shrimps have adopted this as their home. The other side of the tank has a tall reddish plant in the corner and a couple of other little tiny plants and a small piece of bogwood with moss attached.
Do your corys actually go into your boat to sleep? Should I get something like that too do you think or maybe some sort of tunnel thing? Definitely need something more on the bare side!

Also, might have a look at some bronze ones, they sound quite nice!! Hate when fish get poorly.....I feel so sorry for them!!

Hi in my big tank the corys sleep in the fake planted corner, in my smaller 2 they sleep in the boat, it's very cute :) I've just got 2 more albino and 2 more bronze, one of the new bronze looks a little on the delicate side so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the poor little guy, but they are such fun to watch, the 2 albino went and "introduced" themselves to the other albinos and the bronze did the same, I also love the panda corys, i have 3 of them in with my 5 peppered, I can't wait for my new tank to get built and I will get more ;) my favourite critters are the corys,kuhli loaches and ottos ...

I've got 5 albino corys in my 35g community tank. I have both fake and real plants (moving slowly over to a planted tank), and they like to hide under the ones with broad leaves the most. Try some anubias like BBradbury suggested.

Thanks everyone for all your comments! Wondered if you could help me with something else now? I just bought 4 albino Corys today to join my guppys and now one of the guppys is trying to nip one of the corys (it's the smallest one). Do you think it's just because they're new to the tank?

Thanks everyone for all your comments! Wondered if you could help me with something else now? I just bought 4 albino Corys today to join my guppys and now one of the guppys is trying to nip one of the corys (it's the smallest one). Do you think it's just because they're new to the tank?

It's possible that's the reason. My angelfish followed my corys around and tried to nip at them for the first day or two before laying off. Do your corys have anywhere to hide?

Yeah, they've got loads of places to hide and I even bought a half coconut shell with a plant on top so they'd have a little home but they don't seem very interested. Just read somewhere else though that guppys can get aggressive if they've not had enough food and since moving them to the new tank I think they're struggling to eat enough as the filter flows pretty fast and throws the food everywhere. Think I'm gonna turn it off when I next feed them to see if that helps. I'm always so cautious about not giving them too much food.

Also wondered if it was maybe because there wasn't enough of the Corys compared to Guppys (4 corys, 6 guppys)

I think the guppies will get bored, I have male guppies in with my baby corys and they don't bother them at all, but I do make sure I feed them little and often , so there not tempted :)

Back
Top Bottom