How many fishes can you legally put in a 10gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daileene

Planted Tank Addict
Hi. I just had my 10 gallon tank like a month ago and I am getting too addicted in getting more fish. I just wanted to know what is the limit of fishes you can have in a 10 gallon before I go overboard.

I already have 1 koi, 1 calico fantail, 1 gold fantail, 3 rosy reds, 2 plecostomus, 4 neon tetras. Is that too much?

I also have one blue male veiltail betta in a separate container, a bow front. He is fine. But that container is a double tank, so I could actually buy another betta. We'll see. Hehe. ;)

You are certainly overstocked right now. The Plecos for sure will outgrow that tank. Plan on upgrading tank size or taking them back to the store.

Hello well you have a lot of fish in that tank watt you should do is go out and buy a 55 gal pack from pets smart or any fish store around you and that will cast you $250 with rocks and those fish will grow happily and you will be happy with your new thank

Hello, thank you for the quick reply. I might upgrade later then. I realized that the plecos will get bigger after I got both of them. For now they are still an inch each. But I know from researching afterwards that they can grow till 24"...whewww....

Hi, I would sure look into that..I had Petco the closest in where am at. So I will check them out. I do love the setup of my 10 gallon right now. :(

Hello well you have a lot of fish in that tank watt you should do is go out and buy a 55 gal pack from pets smart or any fish store around you and that will cast you $250 with rocks and those fish will grow happily and you will be happy with your new thank

Hello, and welcome to AA! I don't know if your tank is cycled or not, so you should read: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Sorry, but your tank is WAY overstocked right now. Fancy goldfish need atleast 30 gallons, regular goldfish closer to 55, and koi really need a pond. Common plecos also need a much larger tank. If you can, I would return those fish now, and wait until you get a larger tank(if you plan on getting one).

--Adeeb

i agree, you are way overstocked right now.

koi need a pond. you should really find yours a new home (as well as the plecos, as you know they will get far too big for your tank)...it will not be happy or healthy in a 10gal tank. fantail goldfish also need more room. i would say 30g for 1, then an additional 10g for each additional goldfish (although it is debatable, that is just IMO). the suggestion to get a 55g tank is a good one.

your mix of fish right now isn't the best. it's not really a good idea to mix cold water and tropical fish. they are each happiest at their preferred temperatures. your goldies and minnows are both coldwater, your tetras are tropical. i would either keep your 4 rosy reds (ONLY the rosy reds) and add an additional 6-8 of them. OR you could keep the neon tetras (ONLY the neons) and get another 6-8 of those. that would pretty much put you at your stock limit for a 10g.

adit: adeebm beat me! +1 to his above post :)

I agree w/ the others that the 10 gallon is going to be way too small for the fish you have in there. But, on the brightside, you can always get a bigger tank to accomodate the larger fish when they get too big. Plus you will have your 10 gallon for the smaller fish.

You do have a little time for some of the fish before they get too big, (assuming that they're all young). However, the Plecos grow at an extremely fast rate. I just got mine about 3 months ago and he has already grown 4 to 5x the size he was when we got him.

Best of luck w/ your fish addiction! I'm still battling mine. ;)

Edit: Ohhhhh... didn't see the Koi listed. That definitely does need a pond or needs to be taken back to where you got it.

The koi really needs a pond or 500+ gallon display tank. The fancy goldfish will need around 50 gallons to be happy. The two plecos need about 100gallons of water. You have way too many fish and improperly sized fish for a 10 gallon. Not even upgrading to 55gallons will suffice. Koi get HUGE .I have a 15" pine cone sparkling koi (rough translation of the chinese name I know) and a 22" koi (I forget the japanese name of its pattern) in a large outdoor pond. My uncle has several 3 footers in his 20'x6'x4' pond.

Get rid of the fish. Do not release them into the wild though, take them back to the store.

Oh my, thank you all for this very fine revelations. I might do the suggestions of mommytron (separating them). I think I can afford that.

Yes, I admit it, I am addicted to it. But for the sake of my beautiful fishes, I will get things done ASAP.

Thank you all.

I agree w/ the others that the 10 gallon is going to be way too small for the fish you have in there. But, on the brightside, you can always get a bigger tank to accomodate the larger fish when they get too big. Plus you will have your 10 gallon for the smaller fish.

You do have a little time for some of the fish before they get too big, (assuming that they're all young). However, the Plecos grow at an extremely fast rate. I just got mine about 3 months ago and he has already grown 4 to 5x the size he was when we got him.

Best of luck w/ your fish addiction! I'm still battling mine. ;)

Edit: Ohhhhh... didn't see the Koi listed. That definitely does need a pond or needs to be taken back to where you got it.

Hi, I do have my plecos in the smaller side still, an inch each. I just realized they get big fast after I got them both. I should have research first. I will definitely get larger tank next and separate them. Thank you! :p

Gold fish have a heavy bio-load. Can you say MTS (multiple tank syndrome)? Pleco's will need 30 to 70 gallon aquarium depending on the species.

Yes, I guess I definitely can. LOL. Thank you for the information.

not sure if what you asking is what you meant but legally as many as you want. there is no laws on fish so it wouldnt be illegal.

might want to find homes for the plecos if its a common and go with something that stays smaller. i would also look at finding a home for the koi as well. they really more of a pond fish. i would start shopping craigslist to find a quick upgrade. i would be looking for a 55-75 gallon at least.

not sure if what you asking is what you meant but legally as many as you want. there is no laws on fish so it wouldnt be illegal.

might want to find homes for the plecos if its a common and go with something that stays smaller. i would also look at finding a home for the koi as well. they really more of a pond fish. i would start shopping craigslist to find a quick upgrade. i would be looking for a 55-75 gallon at least.

hi, i am looking for options now. I also have a possible home for the koi already. My friend had a pond but I have to wait till it's going to be warmer around here in MA. It's still very cold and we always get snowstorms.

thank you so much...

Back
Top Bottom