How many freshwater fish can I have In a 60 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshwater fish guy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40g tank sadly it got ick then it got fungus.:( so just to be safe I got a 60g tank. I did not fill it up with water yet.But I will after I know how many fish to have in my tank plus the fish I currently have.i will give or sell the 40g tank.

I currently have
One small bala shark,4 tiger barbs,one about 10 inch plecostomus,one 8inch red tailed tinfoil barb, 2 swordtails,one spotted gorumi,2 dalmation Molly's ,2 Mickey mouse platy,3 danios,3 2inch fish,one silver dollar ,2 spotted tetras,1 headlight glow light tetras, and a golden dojo loach.In my 40 g tank I over stocked that's how the fish had gotten ick we are going to put it in the other tank but we want to know if we can put 2 black ghost knife fish ,2 more balas ,2 blue dragon gobys and one silver tipped shark :huh:

Some of the tetras died when there was ick that's why they don't have 3 in a group. And I think 3 fish are pregnant .

Please let me know,thank you

This is freshwater fish guy

Hi! Welcome to AA!!! I am not a tropical girl but I think your still going to be quite overstocked when you move these guys to the 60g. If you rehome the pleco and the barb, you could consider rounding out some of your schools and go from there. Dragon gobies I believe are brackish water fish and BGK's need huge tanks so neither of these fish are appropriate here. Ill let some of the tropical experts further clarify possibilities for your tank. Good luck! :)

Freshwater fish guy said:
I have a 40g tank sadly it got ick then it got fungus.:( so just to be safe I got a 60g tank. I did not fill it up with water yet.But I will after I know how many fish to have in my tank plus the fish I currently have.i will give or sell the 40g tank.

I currently have
One small bala shark,4 tiger barbs,one about 10 inch plecostomus,one 8inch red tailed tinfoil barb, 2 swordtails,one spotted gorumi,2 dalmation Molly's ,2 Mickey mouse platy,3 danios,3 2inch fish,one silver dollar ,2 spotted tetras,1 headlight glow light tetras, and a golden dojo loach.In my 40 g tank I over stocked that's how the fish had gotten ick we are going to put it in the other tank but we want to know if we can put 2 black ghost knife fish ,2 more balas ,2 blue dragon gobys and one silver tipped shark :huh:

Some of the tetras died when there was ick that's why they don't have 3 in a group. And I think 3 fish are pregnant .

Please let me know,thank you

This is freshwater fish guy

If the pleco is a common pleco it needs to be re-homed. They will get to be atleast a foot, sometimes larger and have a huge bio load. If you want the fry to survive then it would be a good idea to try and clean out your 40 really well and set it up again and get it cycled for the pregnant fish, once they have the fry put the females back in the main tank. If you don't want them to survive, just leave them in the main tank and nature will take its course

Please do some research on Balas... They get big and should be kept in groups of 6+. I would move those out completely.

Even for a 60 gal tank you're highly overstocked and some fish aren't compatible.

The Pleco sounds like it's a common which can grow very large and it's already 10" (which is a third of the length of a 36); it would need hundreds of gallons on its own. Please rehome it.

Bala sharks can grow large as well and they need groups of at least 5. It can also become aggressive as it matures. Rehome the one you have. For sharks, any type, the usual minimum recommended tank size is at least 125 gals.

Silver Dollars do best in a group of 5+

Tiger barbs can become aggressive toward each other if the group isn't large enough so with 4 you may have issues with them fighting among themselves.

Dojo loaches do better in groups of 3+.

The danios and tetras you mentioned are all schooling fish that need at least 6+ of each of the groups.

I'd start with rehoming the pleco and shark ASAP. Forget adding any other sharks to a 60 gal. But even doing that wouldn't give you enough room to increase the sizes of the groups you have now, let alone adding other fish. You'll need to decide which fish you want to keep and which others you can part with and then go from there. Also what filter do you have on the tank? I hope it's a massive canister lol

I think you need to rethink your stocking plans or things could get out of hand pretty quickly in the new tank, way to many fish, IMHO your just setting yourself up for a real hard time keeping the new tank in a good state.

Freshwater fish guy said:
Dojo loaches don't school an balas only need 3 maybe even 2

Yeah but dojo's are less stressed with 3, Bala sharks get huge (like a couple feet) and need 3 or more, get the point?

14 inch is too big for 3 bala in a 60 gallon tank

Back
Top Bottom