How many guppies can i put in a 5.5 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsv456

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to know how many guppies I can I put in a 5.5 gallon tank ?

Also what should I do with the guppy babys?

2 or 3, a inch of fish to a gallon of water is the recommended stocking ratio. Remember guppies get about 2 inch when fully grown.

Well, I can't tell you what to do sith fish you have but I breed black Moscow guppies. I once had a trio of guppies with over 30 babies but my sponge filters are very cycled. Filters are key and stay on top of water changes. 2.5 gallon tanks are tricky cause too much water parameters change can shock your fish.

Shane87 said:
2 or 3, a inch of fish to a gallon of water is the recommended stocking ratio. Remember guppies get about 2 inch when fully grown.

Pleeeease refrain from using that rule. It is a very flawed. A 1 inch fish that is super active does not have the same foot print as one less active. Also, some fish naturally produce more waste due to diet. On top of that, body width in conjunction with length plays a factor too.

That being said. In this aspect, I agree with the 2 or 3 Guppies in a 5.5g tank.

I apologize for the rant. That and the "watt per gallon" rule send me into a blind rage!

True I should know better lol scrap that rule but I still think 2-3 in there.

You could do 5 or 6 if youre on top of your parameters. If they get too big, trade them out! Its takes some time for fish to reach their full potential.

Shane87 said:
True I should know better lol scrap that rule but I still think 2-3 in there.

Hey. We all forget sometimes. I've just lost fish to that rule and I want everyone to learn from my experience! Haha

rupp3322 said:
You could do 5 or 6 if youre on top of your parameters. If they get too big, trade them out! Its takes some time for fish to reach their full potential.

I wouldn't do that many. They will have babies which will overstock the tank . But hopefully they will get eaten. I feel only a trio in that size tank.

rupp3322 said:

No offense, but that's a terrible mindset to have when stocking an aquarium. That is unless "trade them out" means put them in a larger aquarium you own. You wouldn't buy multiple puppies with the mindset that when they grow up you'll just trade them out :(

I agree with some of the previous recommendations, technically a lot of people would say they need a 10g minimum since they are so active. However, I think 3 MALES would be fine in a 5.5 so long as you don't slack off on water changes. Live plants would make the Guppies feel safer, if one started to harass another they would have a place to seek refuge. Plants would also help to keep your water cleaner since Guppies have a hefty bioload for their size.

Note that I say only males as you wouldn't have to worry about fry and the possibility of a couple growing to adulthood. I've always kept males only and never had a problem aside from their showing off to each other.

Back
Top Bottom