Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How many Hikari pellets to feed my oranda?

I have had an Oranda in an 8-gal BiOrb for about 2 months now. We feed him about 10-12 Hikari pellets a day, all at once. He eats them all right away. Is this appropriate? How many should he be eating per day, and should we feed him more than once a day?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to AA!!

Depends on how big the fish is .... the general guide for feeding is an amount the size of the fish's mouth (or eye). Goldies are such pigs that they will stuff their mouth with however much you give them, to the point that they can't chew/swallow. So 10-12 pellets might be a bit much for a smallish fish. <Eg. I feed about 1/8 teaspoon of Hikari pellets to my 9 1-3" fish ... that is maybe 20 pellets - small size, if you use baby pellets, adjust accordingly (2-3x the number).> Generally, it is better to feed the fish smaller amounts more frequently rather than a single big meal as a Goldie's gut is built for constant grazing rather than big binges. Big meals basically don't get digested & are wasted, plus you risk constipations & gut troubles.

You can feed twice a day (or more - breeders feed every 3-4 hrs, but small amounts) if you want the fish to grow faster. But in a small setup like yours, it will also pollute the water faster & you will need more pwc's to compensate.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My fish is about 2 inches long in body size, with about another 2 inches of tail.. but his eyes seem pretty big, so it looks like I'm feeding him a good amount. I'll try to feed him twice a day instead though.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

i feed my fish once every other day. they seem fine with it and i used one crushed flake for 2 fish. each about 1.5 inches.

Tags
feed, hikari, oranda, pellet, pellets

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com