how many irridescent sharks temporarily in a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aphone

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm well aware at the size these get and plan on getting 300 gallon eventually. But at the pet store they have a bunch of small ones in a 10 gallon. Would get only one but I heard they like to school. So maybe 4 would be good untill I get a 150 gallon and eventually a 300 gallon. Thoughts?

I mean no disrespect but I would say none. Pangasionodon hypophthalmus is just another example of a fish that should not be available in home aquaria. A 3-4 foot fish would still be cramped in a 300 gallon tank, let alone more than one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I mean no disrespect but I would say none. Pangasionodon hypophthalmus is just another example of a fish that should not be available in home aquaria. A 3-4 foot fish would still be cramped in a 300 gallon tank, let alone more than one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OK, how many small discus can I put in a 10 gallon temporary. Gonna get a 100 gallon in the future

Or how many young Columbian sharks can I temporarily put in a 10 gallon?

All the fish you named can't be put in a 10 gallon tank for any amount of time.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Why not set up the larger tank now? I'm not saying for those fish particularly but large tanks take time to get set up.

If your asking if you can put these fish in a ten gallon you need to do more research. I don't think it would be possible to keep a discus from not being stunted in a 10g. It only takes a weeks for the major impacts to happen.

Why not set up the larger tank now? I'm not saying for those fish particularly but large tanks take time to get set up.

Especially when you nitrogen cycle it which you better do if your looking into these fish!

Iridescent sharks are endangered because of overfishing by the aquarium trade and they are unsuitable for anything but 1000+ gallon public aquariums and should really be left alone in the wild. The fish you are listing are all unsuitable for the 10 for the amount of time you would want to keep them there. Ive heard this story far to often, especially in saltwater tanks where they say can I keep a tang in a 20 gallon for a couple months until i get my 300 gallon? and the tank is never bought and the fish dies of being stunted. please look into some suitable fish for your ten gallon and not bank on a massive upgrade that may never happen in the future. :thanks:

Why a 10 gal? Surely you can get a 20 long? ? I don't understand this fascination with cramming huge fish In tiny tanks? You could put whatever will fit in a 10, doubt it will live very long. Check out different species.. you like discuss? Check out dwarf gourami and angels? You like sharks? Check out Odessa barbs. You like irredescent sharks? Maybe a zebra pleco or oto?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+ 1 -- its so hard for me to keep stocking down to reasonable levels so I just don't get fish that will be a problem later on (or rather the lfs tells me :) )

Back
Top Bottom