How many plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HooKooDooKu

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We finally have a an aquarium!

Let me begin by saying that I already know I have done this the WRONG way. I've read these forums and online researched gold-fish ponds. So I already have the basic knowledge on the proper way to even setup a salt-water tank. But this weekend, I was suddenly confronted with Jeffry... the (12 cent) gold fish my son spent $1 trying to "win" at a school carnival. Then, little brother had to have a fish too.

For now, my main question is how many real plants for this new aquarium?

Here's my setup (which sadly had to be done in only 24 hours):
10 Gallon Tank (I know, too small)
City Tap water (allowed to stand 24 hours before use)
15 Watt Floresent light on top of glass cover (or was it 18w).
1+" Play Sand (very well rinsed)
FluVal 1 submergable water filter
6" Air stone
4" x 12" ceramic hollow drift wood (cover)

For plants, I've already got...
Two 4" Aunuba (sp?) plants
One 4" Wisteria plant

For fish, we've got Jeffery (2" Commet, or is he a Common goldfish) and his "brother" Lightning (2" Rosy-Red minnow goldfish).

Like I said, I already know I havn't done things "right". I just tried to do the best I could to recall what I had learned and attempted to apply it to a tough situation. It's were to go from here. I know I want to attempt to use live plants to aid with filtration, and I've got things started, just need some input on this specific aspect.

Your goldfish are fairly dirty fish. In a 10 gallon with 18 watts or 15 your best bets for plants are Java ferns. Annubias which you allready have. And maybe some stem plants. They will grow slowly but som Bacopa or even L. repens which grows in my 10 gallon at a fair rate. Just add some large biomass of whatever flavor plant you can find. On a 10 gallon i have seen some success (ill be trying it soon with my 10 gallon) taking an incandecent hood and fitting it with a reflector and some spiral Compact Flourescent bulbs to get a better light quality which should help your plants grow a little faster. you can get about 30w over your tank then.

On a gold fish tank the best suggestion is PWC regularly, with a nice gravel vac. And keep a close eye on your amonia until it cycles. gold fish produce quite a bit of waste (amonia) and it will easily kill them...

Second and last suggestion and way off your original request. Get a nice HOB filter for teh 10 gallon it will help establish your biofilter a little better.

Good luck.

*edit* so my answer to your ACTUALL question is: Good start with the plants pick some quick growing stem plants quite a few actually and create as big of a biomass as you feel comfortable with so lets say at least 10 stems at about 6" a piece...
*edit*

So on the subject of 'count', we're basically saying that you can't have too much, until you get to the point where the plants are choking each other out for light?

Correct... and nutrients. which will become evident later on. But since you didnt get the chance to properly cycle your tank before adding the fish (no fault of your own dang kids...) adding a larger biomass of plants will help "filter" out the fish waste. Your primary filttration though will be by means of mechanical filtration(your filter) and Partial water changes. Until you plants can take hold. And even then the plants more or less add stability to your water quality not "filtration" in the sense i think you are implying. the bacteria in your aquarium do the bulk of the cleaning of your water plants do produce waste and will not consume all the detrius (fish poop) that your goldfish produce... Snails may also help, as always though what you put in your tank stays in your tank in some form or another.

You have more things to consider with a common or comet:

Single tailed golds are voracious plant eaters & diggers. It will be tricky to have a planted tank with them. With your light, you are limited to low light plants. Although having lots of fast growing, healthy stem plants will help in cycling the tank, it will be counter-productive if the plants are not growing well, or being eaten or uprooted.

In terms of the cycling, you may use the plants to obtain seeding of beneficial bacteria for the tank. However, it is pretty unlikely that you can successfully "silent cycle" with plants with a common around. So, it is back to daily water changes & watching your parameters until the cycle is done.

You need to add a dechlorinator to your tap water. Letting the water stand for 24 Hrs. only work for chlorine. Most city now use chloramines & that will NOT be gone in 24 Hrs. <In ponds, under bright light, you can get rid of chloramines in 1 week. But for tank, using a dechlorinator is easiest.>

For plant choice: Anubias is a good choice. <Make sure you don't plant the rhyzome or it will rot. In a goldfish tank, it is best to attach it to a rock or driftwood.> The wisteria will likely get eaten, plus you don't have enough light for it. Java ferns are another good choice for the tank. You might also try hornwort. This is about the only fast growing stem plant that might work in that tank. If you have a big mass of it (leave some floating to get better light), you might have enough growing to help with your cycle. Goldfish will eat hornwort (mine do), but with enough of it, hornwort grows so fast that it is not too much of a problem.

Finally, you should start to think about a new home for the comet. It will outgrow that 10 gal within a year. So start looking for friends with a pond! :)

Last edited:
goldfish will eat all plants... yep.. that would be the biggest issue.

I weed out the wisteria from my planted tank and put it in the goldfish. they like their salad. they will chew the anubias up eventually as well.

Unfortunately plants and goldfish don't mix.

Back
Top Bottom