How many Platys in a 40g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarjo Pepper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How many platys could I hold in a fully cycled/planted tank, assuming there are already 4-6 cory cats? Comfortably of course. Dealing with the fry will not be an issue.:thanks:

How many platys could I hold in a fully cycled/planted tank, assuming there are already 4-6 cory cats? Comfortably of course. Dealing with the fry will not be an issue.:thanks:

Hi Sarjo Pepper:

In a 40 with cories in it you could probably keep up to ten adult platys provided your maintenance is very good and you don't overfeed. Depending on your setup, you might want to consider adding some additional aeration if you go that high. I've had as many as fifteen at one point in a community 55g. That was probably pushing it but back then I just couldn't bring myself to cull any fry.

What kind of filter do you have in your 40? Could you add additional biomedia to it, if necessary?

-Yorg

This is for a future project. I actually don't have the tank yet (if only!!) College is rough. Thanks for the advice! I hope that when this finally comes to fruition I will know the ins and outs of proper water care. I'm a little weird, I tend to research stuff years in advance.

Back
Top Bottom