How many Ranchu/goldfish in a 20 gallon (80 litre) tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gohy898

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
G'day. New to this forum.

My tank is just set up and waiting for the water to "mature".

I am planning to keep some ranchus.

How many ranchus can my tank (20 gallons) accommodate without being overstocked?

Your input would be appreciated.

Cheers

Generally, it's recommended to have 20 gallons for the first goldfish and then an additional 10 gallons for every fish thereafter. That said, it appears this goldie can reach 6 inches. I wouldn't put a 6 inch fish in a 20 gallon tank. I'd probably go with a minimum of 50 gallons. From what I've read, they actually should be kept in ponds, just like koi.

Goldfish require larger tanks because they are very messy fish. In order to keep their water parameters healthy, you need the additional water column for the waste.

When you mention letting the water "mature", are you cycling this tank or are you just letting the water sit there?

Agree with what Lynda says; sorry, but in a 20 gal you have a lot of other options aside from goldfish (unless you can return the 20 gal and upgrade to something a lot larger).

Also, letting the water run in the tank isn't going to prepare it properly for fish (regardless of what the fish store says). Here's a link that will help: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Back
Top Bottom