How Many Tiger Barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been trying to come up with ideas for a stock list for a seventy five gallon. How many tiger barbs could I put in there? I'm interested in a species only tank, because I know of their aggression issues. I saw a YouTube video of some and fell in love with the species. Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

You could put a lot of Barbs in there. I don't know An exact number but maybe in the 40-45 range. But not all at once! Adding too many at once will trigger a mini-cycle and all of your fish will DIE.

Yeah, I will do research and see what our lfs has. What barbs go good together? The tigers are a definite though.

It depends on your filtration and upkeep.

With good filtration and 50% per week water changes I would think 30-35 would be easily within the bioload of a 75 gallon, perhaps as much as 40-45.

One thing to note: Don't add that many fish all at once, add a maximum of 5-10 at a time and then wait at least two weeks. With a species tank (or with any tank, but especially a species tank) you will need to quarantine...

Yup, adding that many fish at once would be a catastrophe. Can you say most definite mini cycle? Yeah, I know the add a few rule.

You could easily do 35-45 in a 75G. I had about 35 in a 55G with no issues, and had a fire eel in with them. And like mentioned above, only a few at a time. I probably wouldn't do more than 5-6 myself every 10 days to 2 weeks. I think 10 would be pushing it at one time.

Yeah, I will do research and see what our lfs has. What barbs go good together? The tigers are a definite though.

I've never had luck with putting Tiger barbs with any other barbs. The tigers just chewed all the fins off the others.

I do have neon rosy barbs with cherry barbs, and they are doing very well together. I'm going to be adding more cherry barbs and some redline barbs (roseline sharks).

It will depend on luck if they are nippers. I have 4 n a 36 GL with 8 black skirt tetras. They al get along.

I've had luck with the following fish with Tiger Barbs:

Serpae tetras.
Neon tetras (yep, and I can't explain why).
Giant Danios.

Tim Wheatley said:
I've had luck with the following fish with Tiger Barbs:

Serpae tetras.
Neon tetras (yep, and I can't explain why).
Giant Danios.

Thanks. I wish I could find just a list online. A simple list would be super helpful. Maybe someday I'll have to make one online.

You probably can't see my signature on your iPod, so take a look at this:
Fish I've kept: Tiger Barbs

Every fish/shrimp/snail I kept with them while I had Tiger Barbs I wrote down my experiences with each combination.

Tim Wheatley said:
You probably can't see my signature on your iPod, so take a look at this:
Fish I've kept: Tiger Barbs

Every fish/shrimp/snail I kept with them while I had Tiger Barbs I wrote down my experiences with each combination.

Oh, thanks. I could see the signature, I just didn't look closely.

And actually, Tim, it was your video on YouTube that made me fall in love with these fish.

Back
Top Bottom