How much aeration do fish need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladycage

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon tank and a powerhead that produces a lot of aeration in the tank, I think it may be too much because fish stay to the opposite side more now, I current is very strong and seems to make it hard for the fish to swim.

Do fish need the bubbles to survive? Can I just add a emperor HOB 400 filter to create aeration in the water and remove the powerhead?

Actually, you can't get too much O2 into the water, once the water is saturated, it will gas out rather quickly (you can see this usually with tiny O2 bubbles all over the place).

What type of filter are you using now?

I have a Jebo 838 canister filter and the powerhead has sponge block and filter floss filter, I ordered a emperor 400 and should receive it next week so I will add that also.

I see alot of tiny bubbles in the tank, is that good? I thought that was hurting the fish.

The universe wants your tank to have the same amount of o2 in it as the atmosphere around it. When the surface of your tank is calm like glass, it is much tougher for o2 to make it's way into your water. When you provide agitation at the surface, o2 makes it's way into your water much easier. I don't think you need white rapids in your tank to achieve this, especially if the current and noise that your equipment makes is causing the fish to stress and stay away from that part of the tank.

Experiment with this. Try an air stone on one end of the tank. If you have a HOB filter, depending on what type, the cascading water into the tank may be plenty of agitation for o2 exchange. Watch your fish, they will tell you if you do not have enough o2 in the water. Rapid breathing while at rest, or gasping for air at the surface can mean not enough o2.

I think you may be surprised to find out how little agitation it really takes to make everybody happy.

Actually, I was wondering the same thing. I just removed the pump from my tank. The tetras are ok but the platies have been going to the surface often.
Also, I noticed that guppies do the same. I dont know if its theyre swimming level or what but the stay at the suface alot, specally when theres hardly eany aeration.

Back
Top Bottom