How much ammo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bud said:
So, I did a 50% PWC the other day so that I could read NO2 and NO3 and kept dosing the ammo up to 4ppm. I dosed it back up last night before bed and checked it for fun today when I got home from work and it has converted >4ppm of ammo to <1 ppm. NO2 is more purple than I have ever seen it and NO3 is super dark red, guessing >80ppm. Thinking about doing another PWC if I can when I get back from the gym. We're getting close...

Very close indeed :). I also agree with another pwc. Make sure we keep the buffers in the water to keep things stable. Great job.

Didn't get a chance to do the water change after the gym last night. Dosed it back up about 11pm...got home from work at 4pm and there's no ammo. Ton of nitrites still, but no ammo. :) Dose it and 50% PWC?

So, it's eating ammo really fast...but the nitrites aren't coming down. I just keep dosing it back up. Should I just learn to be more patient?

Bud said:
So, it's eating ammo really fast...but the nitrites aren't coming down. I just keep dosing it back up. Should I just learn to be more patient?

Yep. You're in the nitrIte spike phase which signifies you're approaching the end of your cycle. Just sit back, keep dosing the ammo up to 4ppm, keep an eye on pH to make sure it doesn't drop (pwc if it does), and knock out a pwc if the ammo conversion starts to slow at all. Pretty soon you'll wake up and the ammo and no2 will be completely gone overnight. Then...cycle complete :)

Not sure when it happened because I've been out of town since Monday, but tonight I have no nitrites. No ammo, no nitrites and a boat load of nitrates. Had a ph drop before I left. PWC and dosed and left. Haven't added ammo since. Just dosed back up. Will check tomorrow. PWC and lower temp. Should have fish in the tank by the weekend! (correct me if I'm wrong)

Bud said:
Not sure when it happened because I've been out of town since Monday, but tonight I have no nitrites. No ammo, no nitrites and a boat load of nitrates. Had a ph drop before I left. PWC and dosed and left. Haven't added ammo since. Just dosed back up. Will check tomorrow. PWC and lower temp. Should have fish in the tank by the weekend! (correct me if I'm wrong)

Let us know. You may be good to go :)

I moved the fish over to this tank last night! I was so excited, I forgot to update you... They're super happy. I have a bit of a diatom outbreak in there, so Bob (my BN Pleco) is having a field day. :)

Here you go! Hope to get a better one later. Seems that the pics are better when taken at night.

Attachments

• image-3515512537.jpg
    image-3515512537.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 60
We tell everyone their tanks look nice when we see pictures...you my friend have a legitimately beautiful tank. I love it!

Back
Top Bottom