Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to arachniac
how much ammonia to add to start cycling?

I just ordered a 37 gal tank and read the guide to fishless cycling, and was wondering for this size tank, how much ammonia do I add to get to 4ppm? Is there a mathmatical equation like x mls ammonia for 1 gallon of water, or do you just dump some in? I have the Ace janitorial strength ammo. I have used filter material from my cycled tank I'm gonna use, and the tank has a biowheel.(both tanks). Any help? Thanks!

Old 11-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

No their isn't a method to measure it, I don't think I just did some research on the fishless cycling. It just says to add ammonia until it is 4ppm, I wouldn't even know how to estimate that. Maybe someone can pop in here with more info. Just make sure the ammonia u got when u shake it it doesn't foam up. I went to walmart yesterday to get ammonia and I shook it and it was all kinds of foamy. It was terrible!

Old 11-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by arachniac View Post
I just ordered a 37 gal tank and read the guide to fishless cycling, and was wondering for this size tank, how much ammonia do I add to get to 4ppm? Is there a mathmatical equation like x mls ammonia for 1 gallon of water, or do you just dump some in? I have the Ace janitorial strength ammo. I have used filter material from my cycled tank I'm gonna use, and the tank has a biowheel.(both tanks). Any help? Thanks!
As Chasnkevin4ever said, I don't think there is a formula per-say, but the person to ask is eco23. Chances are he'll come around and respond, or someone else whose done a fishless cycle ... just hang in there.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
As Chasnkevin4ever said, I don't think there is a formula per-say, but the person to ask is eco23. Chances are he'll come around and respond, or someone else whose done a fishless cycle ... just hang in there.
I agree eco will definitely the best person to talk to about the fishless cycles. Good luck let us know how everything goes!
Old 11-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi guys Assuming you know the % of ammonia in the solution, here's a calculator where you can enter your tank size and desired ppm- http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

If the strength is not listed, you'll just need to add a small amount, let it circulate for a bit, test, add more if necessary, circulate, test, etc...

If you overshoot the mark, just do a pwc to bring it back down near the 4ppm.

Good luck
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
Hi guys Assuming you know the % of ammonia in the solution, here's a calculator where you can enter your tank size and desired ppm- Calculator

If the strength is not listed, you'll just need to add a small amount, let it circulate for a bit, test, add more if necessary, circulate, test, etc...

Good luck
Can always count on eco23 for fish-less cycling help!
Old 11-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heres a suggestion on what worked for me. Get yourself a baby medicine syringe (most drugstores will give you 1 for free). It measures in mls from .625 up to 1.25ml. Starting from 0 ammonia (make sure you know what your tap waters amm level is), add .625ml of ammonia and test after 15minutes. If its not 4ppm ammonia, add another .625ml ammonia, wait & test. Continue to do this until you reach 4ppm ammonia. Now add up the .625ml doses you added and you will have the exact amount of ammonia you need to add daily to reach 4ppm(5mls is equal to one teaspoon). Good luck!
Old 11-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
Hi guys Assuming you know the % of ammonia in the solution, here's a calculator where you can enter your tank size and desired ppm- Calculator

Good luck
Awesome u know about the fishless cycles! U have helped me alot.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
Heres a suggestion on what worked for me. Get yourself a baby medicine syringe (most drugstores will give you 1 for free). It measures in mls from .625 up to 1.25ml. Starting from 0 ammonia (make sure you know what your tap waters amm level is), add .625ml of ammonia and test after 15minutes. If its not 4ppm ammonia, add another .625ml ammonia, wait & test. Continue to do this until you reach 4ppm ammonia. Now add up the .625ml doses you added and you will have the exact amount of ammonia you need to add daily to reach 4ppm(5mls is equal to one teaspoon). Good luck!
I have hundreds of them baby med droppers laying around my house lol and I was wondering what I was going to measure the amm with lol, when I find the pure ammonia anyways, walmart don't carry pure ammonia, they had some but when I shook the bottle it foamed up so I didn't get it.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The ammonia that Ace Hardware carries is the stuff, it's for janitorial uses. I used about 2cc for my 45 gallon yo get it close to 4ppm. I think anything between 3 and 5ppm is acceptable. I use a syringe the vet gave me to measure with. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

The town I live in we don't have a ace hardware lol I may check at our little city hardware store we have, maybe they have it. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you get desperate for ammonia, Amazon sells Ace Hardware (10% janitorial strength) ammonia online.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright cool thanks!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

There is a direct formula for doing this.... At least get you very close.

Multiply # of gallons x 0.003785 = 1ppm in ml (or cc....same thing).

If you have a 37g.... 37 x 0.003785 = 0.14ml per ppm. If you want 4ppm... 0.56ml or cc
Old 11-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #15
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
There is a direct formula for doing this.... At least get you very close.

Multiply # of gallons x 0.003785 = 1ppm in ml (or cc....same thing).

If you have a 37g.... 37 x 0.003785 = 0.14ml per ppm. If you want 4ppm... 0.56ml or cc
Maybe im mistaken, but wouldnt you have to account for the strength of the ammonia as well in this equation? Not all ammonia is created equal. You would have to add different amounts depending on if its 10% or 6% or 1% or whatever it happens to be and many ammonias brands do not list an exact % either.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
Maybe im mistaken, but wouldnt you have to account for the strength of the ammonia as well in this equation? Not all ammonia is created equal. You would have to add different amounts depending on if its 10% or 6% or 1% or whatever it happens to be and many ammonias brands do not list an exact % either.
What a maroon... forgot that part. Yes, you are correct. That calculation is for the ppm portion of pure ammonia, so if you have, say, a 6% solution, divide that final number by 0.06 (or multiply by 16.7).

Thanks for catching that.

Tags
ammonia, cycling, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com