How much ammonia to put in 20 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How much ammonia should I put in my 20 gallon tank to start cycling it? A capful?

No, no! That is a major overdose. Pour a bit into the cap and use an eyedropper to extract a small amount. Dose and then test. You want to get close to 4ppm. It does not take much at all. It is better to add too little than too much. Remember, this is just the start to cycling. It will take many weeks of ammonia depletion and replenishing before ammonia, nitrite and nirtates are in correct balance.

This handy calculator will make ammonia dosing alot more simple. Enter your tank size, desired ppms of ammonia (4ppm) and the percent of your ammonia and it will give you the precise dose in mls.

Calculator

Yeah I tested today and it was about 3 ppm- 4 ppm (YAY!) So I continue putting ammonia in right? (sorry I sound so stupid)

Nope, easy part now. Just wait for your ammonia to drop to 1ppm or lower before dosing it back up to @4ppm. This may take a bit so have some patience. :)

oh and I went to go get some more ammonia test stuff and the guy at the pet store was like "Yeah you just have to let you tank run for 24 hr. and then you can put in fish" And I'm standing there like uh sure... but you have it all wrong...

Ok, so I put in some ammonia and it went up to about 4 ppm and I let it get back down. And then I put in more ammonia so it would go back up to 4 ppm, it's now around 2 or 3 ppm. Once it gets down to 1 ppm again, do I continue to put in more and let it go down?

I honestly would wait for it to drop below 1ppm, preferably down to .50 or less. Have you started checking nitrite or nitrate yet?

Don't listen to pet store advice. I did and I already lost 2 of my best fish. Just wait it out.

My pet store said to wait 24 hrs then put fish in and I'll get high ammonia but it's ok. They never told me to do water changes or anything.

Do you have any ideas on what fish your putting in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom